Team Chevelle banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was watching musclecar today and they were using a quick change rearend in their new racecar project. i had never really seen one of these before and they look amazingly versatile and simple. would one of these be alright for street/strip/track use in a high horsepower application? oh and i was also thinking, maybe im just nuts but the trouble with a three link is the center locater that would have to come up through the back seat to work right correct? what if you put molded inn buckets back there and had it come up through the middle? i think that would be a pretty sweet custom 4 seater 3 link track car. but who knows....

thanks for any insight

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
i had a quick change years ago, was pretty cool changing ratios real quick-they just arnt made for banging gears, their weak point-most of them are for sprint cars, direct drive with no hard launch-some people have used them with a little suc., but i dont think their that strong, mostly they have hardened race gears, not ideal for street use
always wondered why nobody ever made one for street/strip, along with why nobody ever made an o/d "strong" automatic, (4l80e is coming around)
engine h/p far advanced the rest of the driveline-lol

·
In Memoriam
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,419 Posts
animal is right. if you install a QC in a heavy car and hit it hard on pavement it will break. Street rod is a different story. Straight cut spur gears in those things, you think a Jackson gear drive o0r blower is noisy, wait till you get a car with a QC.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
The gears will be loud. The ring & pinion gears used in these rear ends are from the early Ford banjo type rear ends. They are NOT the strongest gears you can get. They are not made for shock loads. There are different sizes of quick change rear ends. Some are made for the smaller sprint ccars and some are made for heavier and more powerfull cars, but they are all designed for circle track use.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hmmm ic well this was all helpful thanks it really is to bad that they cant make one for street strip hotrodding they seem like a really cool basic desighn. like make a road trip and get 20mpg and then swap out at the track and tear it up. maybe ill desighn one someday.

thanks again

·
Premium Member
5,660 Posts
I bought & installed a new Halibrand V8 quick change rear in my 40 Ford coupe streetrod. It had a 3.78 ratio Ford 9" ring & pinion with 35 spline axles. The straightcut spur gears were noisy so I installed a helical gear conversion from Halibrand that cut the noise down to a manageable level. The V8 is rated to 750hp and the Champ can supposedly handle over a 1,000hp.
They are pricey,though. Paid over $3K for mine almost fifteen years ago.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts