Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just changed my alternator and am wondering if I got it wired in correctly. It has an R and an F connection. I assume that if these were reversed the battery would not be charged and would eventually run dead. My question is, if I start the car and remove the battery, the car should still run if the alternator is connected properly...right? Is this an effective way to check that the alternator is working without having to drive to AutoZone and get them to check it out. By the way, does it seem like the folks at those chain car stores hire the people who know the least about cars? Just an observation over the past couple of trips to those stores.

·
Premium Member
4,478 Posts
Listen to Dean! (he's older than you) ;)

You should NEVER remove the battery or any battery cable(s) to "check" the alternator.

Your "F" terminal connects to a BLUE wire, your "R" terminal connects to a WHITE wire,

These wires make their way back to the voltage regulator on the driver's side by the headlights. Often times the white wire looks yellow due to fading.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts