Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 69 chevelle with 15" rally rims. The rear tires ar MT Indy Profile 60's (poly) and the front tires are ?? p215/70 15 (radial). I realize that I need to change the front tires to poly and will look for MT tires in the same size. If I change to 60-70 SS 15" repro rims what rim spacing (15X7??, 15X8??)would I have to order?

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you run 15x7 in the front use a 41/2" back space and dont use any bigger tire than your 215/70. For the rear using a 15x8 wheel a 5" to 51/2" back space should be alright.the 51/2" will bring the tire close to the inside wheel well, a 41/2" will put tire too close to outside wheel well.i use 15x10wheels with p305/50-15 tires using 51/2" back space tire is centered in wheel well but vary close to inside and outside of wells(this is a big tire). hope this info helps.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
68rat
Care to talk about your wheel tire set up some more? Stock springs/ride height? any rubbing with passengers/stuff in the trunk? rubbing on turns? wheel wells turned under? someone posted that they use 10" rallys with 6" back space and run the 305/50 15 tire?

thanks

------------------
J.J. Fig
MCC member #256
Maryland Chevelle Club
Dad's 69 SS
Mom's 71 SS Convertible

·
Registered
714 Posts
A P275 60R 15" tire on a 15X8" Rim with 4.5" back spacing (which I believe to be the standard) should fit fine on the back of a 69... and look good too. My buddy has this combionation on all 3 of his 68's and there is no rubbing and fills the wheel well really good.

I put this size on my 70 and they also fit good. I stayed with 14" (P215 70R14's ) on the front on the stock SS rim (not sure if that is 6 or 7 inch wide) and this left my 70 with a very nice subtle lean (more aggressive look) to the front

Mytmouse

------------------
67 SS396 350HP 4 sp 3:55 Posi Butternut Yellow w/Black Vinyl
68 RS Z/28 302 350+Hp? 4sp 4:10 Posi, Euro Red on Black
70 SS396 350HP 4 sp 3:55 Posi, Black on Black

Mytmouse A.K.A. Robert Stacho
ACES Member # 04359

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ok Fig lets see now,I have 'new' stock springs and nitrogen filled shocks (no air shocks)ride hight pretty much level (stock)wheel wells stock too.with the tire size i have you have to be careful with passingers..too fast around corners and the tires will rub ,darn chevelles have alot of body roll unless maybe rear stabilizer bar is used,i dont carry passingers very often and works fine for me,i need these big tires so i can get some traction with a 500hp 427 motor.im using 10" cragar super lite II.i can get an end of index finger in between tire and wheel well on inner and outer.also the wheel is very close to bottem shock mount,like maybe an 1/8 - 1/4 inch.i would think a 6" back space if didnt rub inner well would for sure hit the shock mount.i used to have 8" wheels on rear with 41/2" back space and 275/60's and they rubbed outside well going around corners pretty bad.i had air shocks then too and had to pump them up a bit to remedy this problem.I think for a more stock chevelle the 8" wheels with 275/60's would be good but am leary about the 41/2" back space ,i still think 5"-51/2" would be a safer set up.
and thats what it be like.
Louz 68SS

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Thanks for the info Lou
We are looking at getting the 15x10 repro SS wheels with 5 1/2" back space and 295's. I'm sure that dad would love to have the 305's as the 275's on there now just don't stand a chance with a big block 4 speed and some gears!

Maybe we will be able to get a place to test fit the tires and see which ones will fit the best.

later

------------------
J.J. Fig
MCC member #256
Maryland Chevelle Club
Dad's 69 SS
Mom's 71 SS Convertible

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to all for the info. The previous owner and I are friends and he has told me the good and bad things about this car. He didn't have any problems with the tires rubbing so I will use that tire size. They look good and fill out the fender openings. He did mention that the car hops very bad when he got on it. The car is a 69 chevelle (non SS) 4 speed with a 454. I had to remove the one remaining ladder bar to get the flowmaster mufflers on. Once I get the car running again (changed the tunnel ram with 2 4's to RPM and 850 Q-jet) I'll have to decide what to do about this.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.