Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've found this weird, but I have both shoulder belts and lap belts on my '71, but I can't seem to use them both at the same time. They don't look like the ones that a friend has in his '72 that have a little round thing that the shoulder belt connects to the lap belt, which then plugs into the seat. My shoulder belts and lap belts both have the same ends. So my question is, are they origional? They look origional to me as far as wear goes, if so, how do I use them both?

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Have both in my 68. They use separate female ends. I think that 72 was the first year where the shoulder belt connected to the lap belt and then they both lock into a single female

Check to see if you can find any evidence of a second set of female ends. It's possible they were removed, or (if you have a bench seat) tucked down inside.

Kurt

------------------
The 68 Chevelle info page. [last updated Nov. 30, 98]
http://www.geocities.com/~68_chevelle/Chevelle/Info.html
Email: [email protected]
T.C. Gold #6
A.C.E.S. #1352

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have the same types of seatbelts in my 72. Unfortunately, I haven't found a restoration company that sells replacements for the shoulder harnesses, only the lap belts. So I modified the buckles on the new lap belts to accept the round extension that is on the shoulder belt. I'm guessing that on your car, the previous owner must of put in replacement lap belts, but they didn't modify them to allow the shoulder harness to also be used. So if you cannot find the original laps (if they're not tucked inside of the bench), then go ahead and Dremel out a hole in the lap buckle that will allow the shoulder harness to fit. Try and make a template from your friends 72 to get the correct size for the hole. Good luck to ya!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
The 72 2 door models I have had in the past had the 3 point harnesses that CChamber says his friend has and I think Byfields account is right. The 69- 71 models used the 4 point harness. Exception to the rule: I did have a 4 door 72 that I used for parts and as I recall it had the earlier 4 point harness..........GT

·
Registered
63 Posts
i got a 71, two female ends .. its probly stuck somewhere, or yanked, cause no sense in making a top and bottom if they dont both work at the same time.. And these seatbelts are serious =) yo strap in and you DONT MOVE at all.. no give in um at all

-Chris

·
Super Moderator
12,829 Posts
cc,
My 71 Heavy Chevy has two seperate belts with two seperate ends also. Been that way since new. The extra end is probably tucked under the seat like everyone else has said.

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
Team Chevelle #100

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
cc,
My old 72 and my current 70 both have the 4-point seatbelts (2 male + 2 female). At a local salvage yard I saw the 3-point that I think your friend probably has. I think these are called the "deluxe" seatbelts and use a much smaller female end which is polished metal. The typical "standard" 4-point have plastic covers on the female end. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong with the naming convention.

Check behind your seat where the female end bolts to the floor. If you see 2 belts, then your other one is just hidden somewhere. TK

[This message has been edited by TK-70 (edited 07-22-99).]

·
Registered
227 Posts
My 71, which I bought from the original owner, has 2 separate female ends. Yours was either taken out cause someone never used it for the shoulder belt or it is stuck in the seat.

·
Registered
283 Posts
This is odd. I seem to be the only one with the "deluxe" three point seatbelts. What confused me was every time I looked at an original 72 Chevelle or El Camino, all I could see were a hundred buckles lying on the seat!! (actually like 7 or 8). When I bought my El Camino, it didn' have these type of buckles. It had a smaller size type much like a newer car, but the wear on the buckles shows that they must have been original. I'm confused, any thoughts?!?!

[This message has been edited by 72Elky (edited 07-23-99).]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.