Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here's the deal.
I currently own an '88 Camaro Iroc
After going to Hot August Nights I have hot rods on the brain again (classic muscle is my true love).

I'd love to get a '69 Chevelle and build it.

What should I pay for a '69 Chevelle (any model I can find, dont care about originality) that has a decently running drivetrain (so I can drive it while I build/find a big block) and that has a pretty straight body and working brakes/suspension. I dont care about paint, interior (as long as it is there, or at least most of it....), wheels/tires, and little details.

I am thinking about getting a small loan (about $5,000) and then selling my Iroc for $4,500 and using any money left over from buying the Chevelle to put into it.

I figure (if) I can get the chevelle for 2-3k then I can immeadiatly buy wheels (TT2's) and tires, lower it an inch or two ( "pro-touring" look), get it painted flat black (a hook up from people I know), and get seat covers or something if I need them. And then start getting a big block built and a tranny, take my time if needed, and then swap the sbc and whatever tranny for the new ones.

What do you guys think? Is this feasible, and realistic for the figures I mentioned?

Any help or input is appreciated.

-Tim

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
ok, i'd definately buy a 69 if you want 1, BUT i wouldn't sell that 88 IROC, those are the 80's muscle cars and are getting harder and harder to find, if you do decide to sell it let me know!!! as for doing the work on the 69, FLAT BLACK???? how bout shiny black
and take it 1 day at a time, do it right the first time and you won't be sorry

------------------
1970 SS396 AKA 454/4spd
My Chev-Hell Page
GOLD Member #783
Ft.Worth, Tx
Big Block Chevy.net
proud owner of this site
(OO=ss=OO)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, thing is...
I'm in college, cant afford nice new paint, would rather get a nice motor and drive train in there and save up for paint.

Also, I do really like thirdgen Camaros/Firebirds.... But I am more into muscle cars and dont want to wait anymore for one, I miss having an old car (should have never sold my '70 Camaro). And can always pick one up later on after school.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
tim, if your looking for a 69SS 396 motor, I have a JK code. email me if your interested!

Gutz

------------------
1966 ChevelleSS LS-7/4spd
1966 Malibu 396/4spd
1971 RS Camaro 396/4spd

·
Registered
10,441 Posts
Buy the best body you can afford, this will eat more money than anything else on the car. An old faded paint job is much better than new paint or primer. Look everywhere for a car and be patient, you eventually will find what you are looking for.

Steve R

·
Registered
190 Posts
Not sure about what to expect to pay for a '69, although Rick pointed you to what looks like a nice one. Steve gave some good advice also . . buy the best body you can afford.
A guy across the street just sold a really nice '86 IROC-Z for $4600. It was restored inside, no rust that I could see, new tires, rebuilt engine (305). Everything seems real nice on it. A friend of my son's bought it. He may be wanting to sell it soon, though - wants a big block.

------------------
Phil
"I don't believe I'da told that"

·
Registered
15 Posts
Your price might be a little low. I bought my 69 Mailbu coupe for $4200. Its got a fairly solid body the floors dont need to be pactched or anything. I would expect to pay at least 4000 on anything with a halfway decent body a rebuildable interior and a motor.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Many of us have been in your shoes, and I wouldn't recommend building too radical an engine while still in college. Your best bet is to find a granny Malibu for now, one with a stock 350 or 307 that you can always build later. It's tough going to shcool and trying to tinker with a car at the same time, so the best bet would be to go for a car that gives you the best reliability for the buck for now.

Try this site, www.traderonline.com and go to collector cars, and then click on search and fill in your criteria.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.