Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a Mr. Gasket advance curve kit today for my SB350 with '74-'79 HEI and I'm confused.
1. They say to use the red, white or blue springs. The springs are actually black, silver and bronzish.
2. The lighest looking spring is black, followed by the bronze, then the silver. Always thought the lightest would put the advance in sooner.
3. The weights and the center bar have a rough looking appearance, which I think would cause friction or binding.
4. The way the directions included show place the center bar reversed from the way the May 01 Car Craft article on pg 39 shows it.
Anyone with any comments or experiences on this Mr. Gasket kit (Or Car Craft) before I sling this thing in my ride. It was made in China so maybe they used the unclassified parts of our plane to stamp this quality kit in the last week or two. Thanks guys

·
Registered
290 Posts
Sounds like a bad kit send it back.Those weights should be nice and clean and smouth.Those weights can go clockwise witch the cheveys do go and counter for olds.The springs go from light to heavey light faster curve and to heavey slower curve does your inst sheet show how the weights go if not remove the old and put the new ones in the way the old came out do you have an hei dist.what timing specs areyou after.I would shoot for 20degs at idel this is with vacume advance hook to full time port then shoot for 38degs total.You wont loots of advance at idel.hopfully 12 +8+18=38 total.If pinging occours than you will have to change something.Any idea how many degs your vacume can is giving.

------------------
http:/hometown.aol.com/ddppell/myhomepage/profile.html
Don Pell 66 396 Beaumont.
Once bitten twice shy.
Don Pell 66 396Beaumont.
Once bitten twice shy

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Snake thanks for the reply. Am thinking of just pulling the springs and putting the lighest ones in, without out screwing with the new weights. Have not pulled the cap yet so I don't know/remember how the old ones went in. Just aggrivating when one buys stuff from a supposedly reputable source and ends up with stuff that is shoddy and directions that don't fit the product.

·
Registered
165 Posts
The kit I bought was rough also and I have been told they are all cheap.. I took a wire wheel to mine (very lightly) before using them.. I think silver = white, bronze = red and black = blue... I have seen the center cam be used both ways but think you may not get the weights to return all the way at idle if it's upside down. Might depend on the kit you got...

------------------
...Dennis
Topless '69

·
Registered
399 Posts
I bought a performance distributor kit too and had cheap weights in my kit. Put my old ones back on and used the middle springs.
Yes it does make you mad coming from a reputable business.

------------------
MY CAR
Stacey
67 chevelle

At sixteen I got my license. (One of the best days of my life.)

·
Premium Member
16,949 Posts
Made in China. Damn. The same place thats going to unass all those hackers on us. I'm not a racist, just hate the commie govt.

Anyway, dont start with lightest springs in these kits. The litest springs are usually way too light and you end up with advance coming in at idle. Put the heaviest ones on, check it with your timing light.

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
I also get ticked when something I buy is garbage... I kinda expect it with Harbor Frieght Tools. I seem to recall some other "premium" brands besides Mr. Gasket using offshore facilities. By the way, I just bought a set of Craftsman wire cutters, and they were made in China...

Just wanted to point out that when you see "cheapie" made in ..... parts (especially aftermarket) for American cars, just remember that it was an American businessman who went over there to have them made. He (or that business) was willing to sacrifice quality for revenue. If the quality isn't up to par, take your money elsewhere.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1551528&a=11769071

Wes

G

·
The Moroso kits are nice, I buy them for the early distributors, the weights are finished better than the factory ones.

Made in China, there are M22 gear sets made in China, junk, cranks and rods, more junk than you can imagine.

Send an email to the customer service department and ask them what the deal is, and while your at it ask them how much more of their stuff is made in China.

------------------
Wally
www.muncie4speed.com
Gold #67
2001 Chevy Silverado LT
67 Malibu "Small Block" second owner
90 SS454
71 Malibu "Small Block"

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the posts. Am taking this junkback to Advance tomorrow along with a copy of all your posts. Will also let Mr. Gasket know my feelings. By the By; just read in the IHRA monthy rag that Mr. Gasket was bought out by someone. The mag is at work and not being a big IHRA fan I didn't bring it home so I can't give specifics.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.