Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying to de-code the engine in my '71 chevelle malibu for some time without any luck. Everyone tells me that it is a matching numbers car for '71 but they claim that a ccc engine did not exist for chevelle in '71. Numbers are as folows: vin#136371B117990 engine code#'s: 11B117990 10908ccc. I know everything about the car except for the engine. It has a 4bl carb on it. I was told it was a 350 or 307, and that ccc engine code did not exist for chevelle in '71. ????????????????

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
You might have a restamped engine, although if they were bright enough to put the correct VIN #'s on it you would think they could get the code right. How long have you had the car? Did the previous owner make a big deal about it being a matching #'s car? Get the block casting # and build date from the bellhousing area of the block and post them here.

------------------
Steve Strasemeier (70SS)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Are you sure it's CCC and not CGC? Even though it has a 4bl if it's CGC it's a 2bl 350, 245 hp block for 1971.
Yuri

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for replying. I'll check on those numbers. I have an old Chilton manual that says only nova's were stamped with ccc, and not chevelle. This one has got me. Would they have put a nova engine in a malibu?????

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The block actually says "T"0908ccc. I was wrong about the 1. The valve covers say Tonawanda which matches the T. The fan shrowd says 350 2bl. If the engine block has been re-stamped incorrectly How will I ever be able to tell the size of this motor? Did any 350ss come with a 2bl? I am positive of the ccc. The search goes on.....

·
Registered
50 Posts
Indeed Chevy did make a 350, 245hp. This was a very common power plant for the 71 nova with air conditioning. 350, 2bbl, 245 hp.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the thoughts. I have come to the conclusion after calling year one that the engine is a ccc 307, said only to come for nova that year in my chilton book, but Year One tells me chevelle as well.

------------------

·
Registered
144 Posts
Dennis,
If you're still not sure about your engine, send an e-mail directly to Chevy. You can do this by going to http://www.chevrolet.com and "Talk to Chevy". That's where I found info on the 350 in my 72. They'll tell you horsepower rating, carb size, etc. Hope it helps. Good luck!!

R

·
0 Posts
Dennis
According to my domestic interchange manual, which has never failed me in 15 years, CCC refers to a 307/200HP installed in 1971 Camaros,Novas,Chevelles, & GMC Sprints. I'd say Year One has it right.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.