Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couple questions, can you use the OEM light wires from the firewall to trip the relays?

Where did you run the wires across the radiator support? With the size of the relays you can snake through the original holes. I really don't want it on top by the radiator

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
While I have never done this, I have wired up many relays through the years and have tried to keep from doing any cutting on wires.

Ideally look for what I would call a "Plug and Play" setup.

I would look for a kit that when you unplug one of the headlight connectors, a mating plug in the kit would plug into it (the factory headlight wire plug end) and then in the kit, have terminated plugs to where these would then plug right into the back of your headlights. The kit would then have 2 relays already wired and they should have mounting tabs on them to bolt them to something with the terminals facing downward and then a power wire which would then connect to a fuse, circuit breaker, or fusible link, and then a connection made from one of those to the battery positive post.

One thing I will throw out is the headlights require power and ground to work right and even if you have the proper voltage going to them but the ground is poor, the ground becomes the choke hold point. I've seen cars with slicked down radiator supports with a bunch of paint on them and while the headlights might be grounded well to the radiator support, the electrical connection from the radiator support to the fender and then to the battery negative or the firewall is poor and the headlights are not as bright as they could be. If I were shopping for a kit, I would maybe look for one that might move the ground of the headlights from a spot like the radiator support to possibly the battery negative post.

Keep in mind too, sometimes changing out a lower wattage headlight to a higher output one with the same given input voltage can make the headlight output brighter. Just like in your house with 120 volts. Changing a bulb from a 40 watt to a 75 watt makes a big difference. On any wiring, just make sure it's properly sized to handle the amperage.

Jim

·
Registered
982 Posts
Couple questions, can you use the OEM light wires from the firewall to trip the relays?

Where did you run the wires across the radiator support? With the size of the relays you can snake through the original holes. I really don't want it on top by the radiator
Yes, you can use the original headlight wires to activate the relays.

I haven't installed the relay kit I have yet but I plan on mounting them close to the area where the battery is.

·
Premium Member
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I already have the harness, thanks for confirming the oem wires to trip the relays.

I answered my own question tonight on where to route the wires to hide the harness. Its not the relays that I was worried about but the wires across the firewall. I am going to run them low under the splash guard on the bumper.

Found out I need to bore out the headlight buckets to fit the deeper modern headlights since I am replacing T3s.

Nothing is quick and easy lol

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
I used the org. wires from the dimmer switch to trip the relays. The factory wiring from the dimmer switch "" TRIGGERS "" the relays.
I ran a heavy gauge wire from the Batt. ( through the core support) to a home made hook up panel with circut breakers, Along with some wire and connectors and about two hours of time. I also ran the heavy gauge wire from the batt. inside a piece of vacuum hose to protect it.
I am dumber than a box of rocks. I did this easy wiring job when I was 72. When you are done throw in some ( SYLVANIA) Halogen bulbs and you will have VERY---VERY bright head lights, AND your dash lights will be brighter at night.:surprise:
P.S. all my wiring is hidden behind the washer bottle on my 70. Relays are mounted on the core support, ( above the V. Reg.) Near the top. And , Yes they are very hard to see mounted in that location.
Bob

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Both plugs will work without issue. I did mine with Hella H4 headlights (with upgraded bulbs) and put the relays where the voltage regulator used to be. Hard to see the relays as they are below the washer bottle. Super easy and very worth while upgrade.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts