Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never been to one and was thinking of going to the event in Concord, NC with my parents since they live close to there.

I would just like to experience it once and get an up close and personal look at the cars. Would going on Saturday qualifying be fun or is it only good to go on Sunday for actual races? I have no idea what its like being there:confused: I can probably go only one day. What time do they run during the day?

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I like Saturday for final qualifying, and lots of racing.You will see lots of cars not just what you see on TV.I think they are still running the Pro Mods this year, I saw them last year for the first time and they are AWESOME!! Only problem is you won't see winners and losers, but you can watch that on TV on Sunday. They run Saturday qualifying at night on TV so you can look for yourself . Either way it's one thing you need to experience at least once, my wife even enjoyed it. She didn't like going to the track with me, she said it was stinky and loud. (Kinda like her) :D

·
Registered
Super Awesome Guy who rarely logs on
4,994 Posts
We've gone to quite a few races...and depending on what you are looking to see (Nitro, etc) Friday is a great day to go. Smaller crowds, drivers are definitely more approachable for autographs and pics. Thursdays are great for the stock guys. We usually make a weekend out of it!:beers:

Daughter sitting in Russ Ginger's car...

Standing with Ron Capps

Occasionally some cool things happen. My daughter on TV with Tony Schumacher

Again with Tony

Or how about Mr Wilkerson?

Cory MAC

Tasca

John Medlen

Have fun!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
Super Awesome Guy who rarely logs on
4,994 Posts
Here's the video that my daughter did with Tony. I arranged for a news story about donor awareness...as Holly is a heart transplant.

Tony is an AWESOME guy. We were guests of Schumacher racing for the whole weekend!:beers:

Click on video to see it

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
I just finished watching the Winternationals in Pomona. It was my first NHRA event. Came down from Canada. I attended all four days. Well three days, Friday was rained out.

It was well worth the trip. Watching on TV doesn't even come close. The nitro cars are unreal, shake up your insides.

I'd go at least Saturday and Sunday. Take earplugs and lots of $ for beer, food and souveniers.

·
Premium Member
17,402 Posts
I like Saturday for final qualifying, and lots of racing.You will see lots of cars not just what you see on TV.I think they are still running the Pro Mods this year, I saw them last year for the first time and they are AWESOME!! Only problem is you won't see winners and losers, but you can watch that on TV on Sunday.
I agree... Saturday is my favorite day to go...

On Sunday, you get to see 15 runs for each of the pro classes;
8 first round
4 second round
2 semi
1 finals

But there is also a big lag time between the races, because the usually give the classes 90 minutes to rebuilt... It does give time to go in the pits though...

On Saturday, IF there are 16 cars, you will usually see 16 races. While some shut off, and some take a bye, there are still many trying to get in the show, or improve their times... Its a toss-up there... But often there are MORE than 16 cars in the field, so more races...

BUT, the crowds are usually alot heavier on Sunday, plus there are lots of other races to watch (Sportsman, etc)... Wheels up musclecars...

71 Chevelle said:
I would just like to experience it once and get an up close and personal look at the cars.
IMO, the smaller crowds are alot nicer... I'd go an friday or saturday,,,

·
Registered
404 Posts
make sure you do a nitro bath in the pits. got to love walking away with your eyes feeling like they are bleeding and you nose hairs are burned off but you got a smile on your face.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
I'm a Saturday guy, I could care less about nitro cars these days, except for when I take first timers, because it always startles the hell out of them.

Last time we went, I took a couple kids (I'm a Big Brother), we were standing next to a nitro car that was getting ready to fire, problem was an alcohol car across the way also fired. Nitro cars fire with Alky also, so between both cars firing at the same time, it literally sucked all the oxygen out of the area, people were running everywhere to get a breath, scared the hell out of the boys.

Anyway, Saturday everybody is more accessible, my boys got to talk to everybody, were able to get everything signed, and sat in countless race cars. I'm a big fan of the lower (sportsman) classes, and get to see much more of that type of racing on Saturday.

Being I lost alliances to drivers, years ago, for me it's to get to see the cars run, Saturday is a lot more entertaining for me. And if you really want a blast, go to a nostalgia race, to see how these guys, got thise cars to do what they did, is amazing. A funny car from the 60-70's is tiny next to a modern car...

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
I just re-read the OP. If you can only go one day, I'd say Sat is best too. They run pretty much all day long. There's a noise bylaw in Pomona so there was no racing under the lights.

Take your own earplugs. They're $8 a pair at the race.

·
Premium Member
5,952 Posts
I use to go Sundays, but way too crowded, so started going Saturdays which was not bad till that day started getting too crowded. Than Friday, and yes more and more fans started coming on Fridays so now I always go Thursdays (getting crowded), plus its only $25 and cheaper with discounts from AAA. Not all tracks thru the U.S. have a Thursday time trial..Nitro cars run one time on Thursday, fine with me.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
I like either Friday evening or Sat. I always go to the Fram Autolite drags at Sears Point. If i take first timers, you can really see the flames out of the headers at night, and people are definitely more approachable. I love it because everyone i take say "they can't be THAT loud". They get scared even before the top fuel guys go :)

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
I used to go sunday but have started going on saturday. You get to see more runs. I remember going the first time and was suprised how much smaller they are in real life as to seeing them on tv. I just love the smell of nitro in the afternoon. My wife and I went to colombus one year for all 4 days and on friday we were walking through the pits and she recognized the name of one funny cars owners . We walked over and she asked if they were from pittsburgh area. Well, here she had gone to high school with the owner/drivers son. So they were talking and I was talking to the crew and told them how much I liked funny cars. They asked me if I wanted to sit in it (didn't have to ask me twice ) and I did. Man, I just wanted to go for a ride. I had three layer high goose bumps. And most of all, the drivers, owners and crews are very nice. You will have a pleasant experience. You might even get hooked!

·
Registered
624 Posts
You are in for a treat! There is nothing more entertaining than bringing a newbie to a nitro race. Can't say enough about ear protection, you will want something. How old are your folks? I ask because they really have to be into cars to want to put their senses through the abuse of a full on Top Fuel pass! Saturdays are also my favorite day, however, keep tabs on the weather and plan according to that.

·
Premium Member
7,278 Posts
Saturday is the best day, IMHO

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
The Concord track is my favorite right now, been to every NHRA event there. I usually go Fri and Sat. Pro qualifying under the lights Fri night is really cool, plus its the least crowded of the 3 days the pros run. I usually take my kid and its the best time to get handouts and autographs. The other good thing is all the cars run so more nitro for the dollar, also pro mod qualifying is great.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the responses, so it looks like Saturday the 16th of April would be the day to go.:) After watching Tony run 327 mph I have to see that in person.:D

My parents just turned 50 and my dad is into cars, my mom will probably go along. I just want to see some runs of all the classes, especially top fuel and get to go in the pits.

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
I was lucky enough to see Dixon run a 3.770 record run during qualifying at the Winternationals. Spend the extra $ on reserved seats as close to the starting line as you can. Book them now on the NHRA website. Have fun!!

·
Registered
1968 chevelle SS, 540ci., th400
870 Posts
make sure to bring ear plugs,television does not give it justice...the ground shakes,your internals shake.. LOL i always go sunday for eliminations, watching them go through pedal fests are the best.. jeff

1 - 20 of 26 Posts