Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a suggestion. Would some on you mind attaching your email address to your profile signature, then include your profile signature on your reply? This would allow us to privately email a question concerning a response back to the originator, instead of posting a new question on the thread, which may or may not ever be re-read by the guy who responded? Does that make sense?

Earlier this week, Fred and LS89Sedan replied to my post on Concours Requirements for '70 SS, however, I don't know how to ask them a question about their reply without posting a new topic, or hoping they come back to an old thread. Does that make sense?

The UBB code can be used to do this, and Gene provided an excellent link explaining it's use on the "html" thread of this week. It might even benefit Al by reducing some network traffic and disk space ?? Thanks.

------------------
Stan Hanek
'70 SS - 396 4 sp.
[email protected]

·
Registered
2,938 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,393 Posts
Stan, unless I misunderstand you, the feature you want is already available.
If you look on the top line of any posting (the one even with the posters name)you'll see the date & time posted. After the date and time are 3 images. If you click on the middle image, it will take you to a screen with the posters e-mail address. In most cases. If I remember correctly, when you registered you had the choice to "publish" or hide your e-mail address. Hope this answers the question you asked.

------------------
Rick Schaefer
72 El Camino
ACES # 00140

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Shazzam!! As the immortal Lily Tomlin used to say on Laugh In, "nevermind!"

Thanks for pointing this out, guys. I suspect I may not be the only one who hasn't bothered reading the directions ... :)

Actually, I just went back and did this on the two replies and neither apparently submitted their email addresses with their profiles (or maybe didn't create a profile), so maybe my suggestion wasn't so dumb after all ...

P.S. I used the third icon (edit) to add this last comment to my post!

[This message has been edited by Stan (edited 01-27-99).]

·
Administrator
3,375 Posts
I would recommend using the built-in email system. If you have your email address in your signature and you do a lot of postings you may get 'picked up' by some of those spambots that troll webpages looking for email addresses. Whammo! Next thing you know you're getting some of those marvelous 'deals' offered to you via email spam.

ps, long signatures and such do tend to use up more resources as it all has to be saved as a file, so... one long signature X 100 postings = more disk space. trivial perhaps, but X that by 1200 members on here and it becomes a bit more substantial. just a thought to share.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Stan... That was "Gilda Radner(sp) that use to say "Never Mind" and it was on Saturday Night Live! She always got everything mixed up and started to complain about something and would go on and on about it, and then when she was told, usually by Jane Curtain or Chevy Chase, she was wrong, she'd say... "Never Mind"!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I disagree - PARTIALLY.

I have had many, many emails sent to me after posting information asking for more details or other questions. Most times these could have been dealt with on the board and serves the primary purpose of this forum: to share information. One person might ask a question - but dozens of people want to see the answer.

So, if you have a question based on what someone posted, don't be afraid to ask it in the forum. Chances are others have the same question. SHARE THE INFORMATION!!! Obviously, one can determine whether something is pertinent to the entire board or personal and requires email conversation.

As far as using up disk space, there have been countless offers to help Al with the monetary aspects of running this site. Al knows that all he has to do is say the word and the bucks will roll in.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Buck, you certainly have a valid point. But how do you get the "responder" to come back to a thread they have already posted to, to then see that there is a question concerning their reply? Or are you suggesting a separate thread which flags the responder by name in the subject?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.