Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was curious as to what the first riff/song the guitar players here on TC learned to play. While it isn't my favorite Metallica song the first one I learned how to play was Hero of the Day.

I have almost made it up to full speed on Creeping Death but I can't quite play full speed with the record.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I dont play guitar but my 8 yr old son just started playing a couple months ago and all I hear is ac/dc' back in black being played all day long. It used to be one of my favorite songs:)

·
Registered
20,389 Posts
"I Wanna Be Sedated" by the Ramones. That was ca. 1984 :)

Lately, I've been learning songs like "Skip to My Loo" and "She'll Be Comin Round the Mountain" Three year olds love that stuff :)

·
Registered
7,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"I Wanna Be Sedated" by the Ramones. That was ca. 1984 :)

Lately, I've been learning songs like "Skip to My Loo" and "She'll Be Comin Round the Mountain" Three year olds love that stuff :)
One of my friends told me that I'm being selfish with my guitar playing. I'll quote him directly and you can take it as you wish. He said "When you start getting good you should learn songs that other people want to hear." My reply was "Well I play guitar for myself not for other people." And he told me that was selfish.

I play a lot of Doors, and Metallica stuff. Sure there is a good mix of other songs in there but that is a bulk of my playing.

I guess he'll just have to deal with it. :D

·
Registered
20,389 Posts
One of my friends told me that I'm being selfish with my guitar playing. I'll quote him directly and you can take it as you wish. He said "When you start getting good you should learn songs that other people want to hear." My reply was "Well I play guitar for myself not for other people." And he told me that was selfish.

I play a lot of Doors, and Metallica stuff. Sure there is a good mix of other songs in there but that is a bulk of my playing.

I guess he'll just have to deal with it. :D
Eh, play what you like.

If you ever start playing professionally, then you can start playing what people want to hear. If you get really good, then people will want to hear what you play. You have to play what people want to hear if you want people to pay to see you play. But if you are just playing for yourself, or learning, play what makes you happy.

Me, I like seeing my daughter's face when I play something she likes.

·
Registered
7,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I can see it now. Me playing professionally. :D

The next Jimmy Page, Jimi Hendrix, and Eric Clapton all rolled into one. :)

·
Registered
20,389 Posts
Yeah, I can see it now. Me playing professionally. :D

The next Jimmy Page, Jimi Hendrix, and Eric Clapton all rolled into one. :)
Hey anything can happen :)

I played "professionally" (read: made some money at it) for a while. Great fun.

·
Premium Member
1,225 Posts
Smoke on the water, my on my electric and my drummer buddy w/ no drums banging on the guitar case -bed frame for a hi-hat /snare effect - brings back a lot of memories- summer of '82.

·
Registered
575 Posts
When I picked up the guitar early 70's I wanted to learn to play like the Jimmy's, my father who was a professional musician showed me anyone can play pretty riffs/hooks as he cracked off perfect solo leads of each. So my humble beginnings were learning the complete "Songs" of Son house, Skip James, JLH, Elmore James, Albert Collins, Buddy Guy and my favorite M. Morganfield aka Muddy Waters. Once familiar with the foundations of Rock music it all falls into place and then you can add your own style, thats when you stand apart and people take notice. Keep stretchin:)

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
When I picked up the guitar early 70's I wanted to learn to play like the Jimmy's, my father who was a professional musician showed me anyone can play pretty riffs/hooks as he cracked off perfect solo leads of each. So my humble beginnings were learning the complete "Songs" of Son house, Skip James, JLH, Elmore James, Albert Collins, Buddy Guy and my favorite M. Morganfield aka Muddy Waters. Once familiar with the foundations of Rock music it all falls into place and then you can add your own style, thats when you stand apart and people take notice. Keep stretchin:)
Right ON !! :beers:

Simple 12-bar blues was my first "song".....still love it.

·
Registered
Super Awesome Guy who rarely logs on
4,994 Posts
As crappy as I am...Cat Scratch Fever...pretty easy to play!:D

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Grant,
A little story on the side here....I went to the "Dusk 'til Dawn" Rentiesville Blues fest about ten years ago and got there about 9pm. I went by myself (couldnt find anyone to make the trip) and wandered around listening to the various artists playing on several different stages. Lots of great music. Some good, some "wannabe"....Somewhere between 1 and 2am, after the outdoor stages were shutdown, I was in the "shack" (best way to describe it from my recollection) and this old guy get's in front of the remaining blues fans and starts playing the sweetest, crispy, smooth sounding blues I have ever heard live. No stage, no fancy lights, just an area where the musicians set up. Reminded me of a "barn jam"....He was playing an old strat, all fingers (no pick). Dont remember what amp he was using Probably a Fender reverb.... Anyways, the tune he played had the hair on my arm standing straight up the whole way through. He was a skinny, very old (looking) black man and he wore a modest black suit with brimmed hat resembling a fedora. I thought to myself "this guy is the real deal" and I have never forgot it....His name? Hubert Sumlin.

He is up there in the ranks of the afore mentioned players but for some reason never hit the mainstream like they did.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Kevin, your right. He is the real deal and as humble as it gets:) In fact much of my learning curve was from him, trying to get his sound right from my assigned stash of old records.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
It was awsome. What I failed to mention, maybe it was implied well enough, was that I had no idea who this guy was but after hearing him, I knew he was someone special.

Anyways....this is not my thread...

·
Registered
677 Posts
First song I learned was "twinkle twinkle little star" It was in the first book I bought. First riff I learned was ZZ tops, La Grange. Still love that riff. Inspirations are Billy F. Gibbons, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Tab Benoit and this guy...

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
wow...that took some practice

·
Registered
94 Posts
On Bass: Play that funky music white boy
On guitar: Godzilla from Blue Oyster Cult
I gave up guitar shortly after that to concentrate on bass and now I'm in the running for a paying gig in a country band! :D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts