Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand you have seen and rebuilt a lot of muncies.My question is on my LS6 I can't seem to find the VIN,or any VIN for that matter,on my m22.Should be 6 digits right?I have heard from some people that many times the VIN is stamped on top of the muncies.Is this true?Have you ever seen this?What about warrenty replacements?Any codes?I can't even find a assembly date.Just a very faint CP on the side cover ahead of the extension.Thanks in advance.

------------------
Dean Ciampi
Autumn Gold 1970 LS6 Chevelle
Team Chevelle Gold #52 Aces #3094

·
Registered
13,014 Posts
You know how the assembly code and VIN are stamped on the stamp pad on the engine block? Well a similar stamping is usually on the Rt Rr side of the maincase of a Muncie. If the complete tranny was replaced under warranty or whatever reason, usually, the case would have a date code stamped in it. But if just the case got replaced, then there would not be any stamping.
I have seen several cases with codes stamped on top, or to the rear f the side cover.
Do you feel that your Muncie is the one that came in the car from the factory? If it is for a fact, then very possibly the code is stamped on top. The assembly code should be something like P(0)or(9)XXXC.
P=MUNCIE (how the heck GM got Muncie out of a P I don't know).
Then there should be a 9 or 0 for 1969 or 1970.
Then an alpha letter for the month.
Then 1 or 2 numbers for the day of the month.
And last, an A, B or C for M20, M21 or M22. in your case, it should be a C for an M22. That's the best I can tell you.

------------------

[This message has been edited by DZAUTO (edited 07-13-99).]

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THanks DZAUTO,When I start my frame off I will look for the #s on the top.Everything else is original and matching,but just maybe the tranny was replaced.Thanks again for your help.

------------------
Dean Ciampi
Autumn Gold 1970 LS6 Chevelle
Team Chevelle Gold #52 Aces #3094

·
Registered
13,035 Posts
Dean- I have seen them stamped on the top like DZ says, too. Hopefully your stamps are there!
DZ- The "M" prefix is for Muncie also, only in a three-speed version.

·
Registered
13,014 Posts
Oh. The last 3sp I had was the one I pulled out of my 51 Chev back in 1967, when I replaced it with my first Muncie.

------------------

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.