Chevelles.com banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Joe,
Your post "Anybody interested" is interesting about the side marker lights.

This is concerning the early Chevelle's, I think 64-67? When you pull out the headlight switch to parking lights only, the parking lights come on. Ok. Then when you pull the headlight switch all the way out, the headlights come on and the parking lights go out. The turn signals are the only light that comes on/blinks when the headlights are on.

Any way you can come up with something where the parking lights stay on with the headlights?

I think someone used to make a headlight switch that would do that but I've lost track of that. Seems like the switch would be the place to tackle this on. Yes? No?

------------------
-Mark TC# 717
ACES #1641
1967 Chevelle SS396/375(20 year old Polaroid pics. Sorry)
1967 RailVelle Handles like its on rails!
1964 Chevelle 283/195
1975 Corvette 396/375 Looks are very deceiving!

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
Mark,

You're definitely not the first one to ask this. I have never done this, BUT, a long time ago, a fellow team Cheveller explained in a post that he did indeed do this to more than one Pre-1968 Chevrolet (remember '68 was the first year for side marker lights and they had to redesign the electrical to meet the needs).

From what I remember, you take a '68+ headlamp switch, and then take the headlight switch harness plug on your PRE '68 Car and pull out a wire and insert it into another slot. Supposedly it works like a charm, not sure what wire/slot or how safe that is, but again, someone's been-there-done-that.

·
Gold Founding Member
63,020 Posts
Ok, I have a question

If you rewire your parking lights to come on with the head lights, would you still call them "parking lights" ?
or would you call them "parking / driving lights.

unless of course you park with your head lights "on"

why do we even need parking lights anyway when 4 way flashers are much better

just curious

------------------
Dean Call
Team Gold member #3
A.C.E.S. # 00235
Mid America Chevelle Club #001
chevelles.net
My 69

ACES/Midwest Chevelle Regionals

Love your enemies. It will drive them nuts

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
I had once read here that it was a matter of moving one of the connections on the headlight switch plug to an otherwise unused lug on the switch and it would give you what you want. I've never seen a 67 or lower switch, so I really don't know the specifics. If your switch does not have that spare lug on it, I don't see where it would be too hard ( with the aid of a wiring diagram) to just splice in your parking light wiring to your tailight circuit, because in essence, what you are really asking for is that your parking lights be on when your tail lights are on,correct? Also, I dont think the extra load would hurt the switch or wiring as trailer hookups never seemed to do any harm.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dean:

why do we even need parking lights anyway when 4 way flashers are much better
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The only time I ever used mine was at drive-in theaters and when pulling up to a security gate at a military base, so the guard could see your base sticker on your bumper.
Don't know about now-a-days....

[This message has been edited by Gene McGill (edited 02-20-2001).]

·
Administrator
16,156 Posts
You guys are forcing me into posting yet another picture
There is an extra lug on the pre 68 switches for the front park lights that is deenergized when the knob is pulled to the headlamp postion. Like Gene said you need to jumper the park light wire to the tail lamp wire. This can be done at the switch connections or anywhere else in the harness. Philip

·
Premium Member
5,063 Posts
Great picture phillip!

Mark. I can get you fixed up free of charge. Maybe we can go the extra yard and get the rice-boy "flasher light" setup?

Can't believe the running lights actually shut off when the lights come on.... that's pretty crappy.

------------------
Big Block 402, TH400, 3.73 posi,
13.1sec @ 105 MPH (poor 2.1 sixty foot and rookie tuning)
--will be racing at Chevellebration 2001!--
Picture of me roasting the tires and other guy stuff
Video of me staging (smoke of course)

·
Administrator
16,156 Posts
The 64 switch is the original one from my car and the 68 switch is new. I bought the 68 switch in 1994 and procrastinated so long with installing it the vehicle I purchased it for has been sold. I wonder if NAPA would refund my money, I still have the receipt

Photo was taken with a Kodak DC 215 digital zoom camera. It does all the work

Philip

·
Gold Founding Member
63,020 Posts
Just sorta thinking out loud here, trying to visualize the circuits in my head

If you jumper the park to the tail, wouldn't it feed back from the park to the tail-to the headlights when the parking lights are on (switch pulled out to first notch)

or is there no connection between the Tail and headllights with the switch in the "park position"
that must be the answer

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Just sorta thinking out loud here, trying to visualize the circuits in my head

If you jumper the park to the tail, wouldn't it feed back from the park to the tail-to the headlights when the parking lights are on (switch pulled out to first notch)

or is there no connection between the Tail and headllights with the switch in the "park position"
that must be the answer

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Been thinking about this one for awhile, Dean?

Your answer is right. If the tail lights were connected to the Headlights, the headlights would come on on the first notch, because the parking light position (first notch) includes tail lights as well as the front parking lights.

First notch = (tail) + park
Second Notch = (tail) + Headlights

Jumpering the parking lights to the tail lights would give you
First Notch = (tail + park)
Second Notch= (tail + park) + headlights

·
Premium Member
5,063 Posts
If you jumper the park to the tail, wouldn't it feed back from the park to the tail-to the headlights when the parking lights are on (switch pulled out to first notch) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

DIODE.
park lapt post ---- |<|----- Head lamp post

I think mark has to get his car running before he can pull this off.

------------------
71' 3880# with me. Big Block 402, Merlin oval heads, 10.2:1CR, TH400, 3.73 posi,
1/8th: 8.0 @ 88mph
BEST 60': 1.85 w/street tires.
BEST 1/4: 12.5 with 1.89 sixty foot (street tires)
BEST MPH: 109mph

Picture of me roasting the tires and other guy stuff
Video of me staging (smoke of course)

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
The headlight switch gets power from two sources. 1-A #12 red (main) that is connected without a fuse to the power coming in from the horn relay. 2-A #20 orange wire connected to the tail light fuse.

On the pre 68 switch when the switch is in the first position the red wire is connected to the purple wire (the extra terminal on the pre 68 switch). Purple connects to the park lights. Also when the switch is in the first position the orange wire is connected to the brown and green wires. The brown connects to the tail lights. The green to the inst. light fuse via the rheostat. So the park lights gets power from the main power feed on pre 68. In the second position the red wire is connected to the light blue wire for the headlights.

On 68 and later when the switch is in the first position the orange wire is connected to the brown and green. The brown connects to the tail lights, the marker lights and the park lights. The red wire has no connection. On 68 and later the park lights get power from the tail light fuse/circuit

In my opinion the best way to have the park lights on as on 68 and later is to clip the purple wire at the switch and splice it to the brown wire.

·
Administrator
16,156 Posts
Ron here is an update from that original post from what about 6 years ago:)
The wire colors may vary from years and different vehicles, but the positions stay the same.

I'll start with this photo which came out good enough to see the numbers on the switch.

The terminal in the white area is the dome light. When the switch is turned fully counterclockwise this terminal powers the dome light.
#1 Battery power
#2 Panel lamps. This goes to the fuse box and thru the panel lamps fuse then to the instrument cluster.
#3 unused (but jumpered to 4 for unknown reasons)
#4 Tail lamps
#5 Park lamps front
#6 Headlamps actually goes to dimmer switch
#7 Park lamps for pre 68 cars (Terminal not shown on this switch but this position goes off when headlamp position is selected on pre 68 vehicles)

This switch is from a 72 El Camino. Notice the ground wire sticking out of the switch where it mounts to the dash. Cars with plastic mount areas had some sort of grounding point for the metal mount area of the switch, this one is a brass washer with a wire that fits on the switch mount. When the switch is mounted into a metal dash be sure the area of contact is clean metal. Paint or corrosion will cause problems with the circuit.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts