Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The travel of the TV cable for my 700r4 is only an inch (does that sound right?). Therefore, to have the cable tight at full throttle means that it should have slack at idle, right (since the throttle travel is more than 1 inch)?
I'm still a little confused (and paranoid) about correctly adjusting this thing so as not to damage the tranny. Any clarifications and suggestions are welcome! Thanks

·
Registered
2,938 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
I think that the general rule on these cables is that they should be at the end of the travel when the throttle hits the fully open position.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
JWagner-
Yes, that's my understanding too... but does anyone see anything weird with my first post? Does that sound right?

·
Registered
171 Posts
There is a good reply in the latest (just got it yesterday) Hot Rod magazine about adjusting this cable. It was in the back of the issue where a reader had written in asking the same question. May be of some help to you.

·
Premium Member
2,393 Posts
Patrick
Today I changed the TV cable on my el camino. I noticed the same exact thing. The travel of the cable is only about an inch, while the travel of my throttle body is about an inch and a half.
I had used the tranny and stock cable with my old carb motor and it worked, so the 1 inch of travel must be right. Somewhere in my files I've got a real good procedure to adjust the cable, if and when I find it, it will be posted

------------------
Rick Schaefer
72 El Camino
(soon to be TPI)
ACES # 00140

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rick-
Yes, I'm glad someone understands what the heck I'm talking about! All of the procedures I've seen only talk about having the TV cable pulled tight at full throttle but don't mention what it looks like at idle. From what you and I are saying, it looks like it would be normal for the cable to be 'loose' for about an inch before the throttle starts to pull on it... Thanks for any info you can dig up...

------------------

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.