Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read in an earlier post that you only need a ground to the block and to the frame. My old grounds were to the frame and alternator bracket, but my new bracket doesnt have a hole for the screw. Can i just have grounds leading to the frame and inner fender or does this not charge the battery not being connected to the alternator bracket?

·
Premium Member
16,694 Posts
There should be 2 braided ground straps. One from the body of the car to the frame and one from the firewall to the back of the cylinder head. The negetive battery cable can get grounded anywhere on the engine. My 70 is on the head, my 69 is on the altenator bracket.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Not to the frame, to the sheetmetal. Car needs two grounds. One size 12 or larger from battery (-) to the right inside fender. The other size 6 or larger from battery (-) to a clean rust-free spot on the block.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the quick responses guys. I hooked one ground to the sheetmetal near the battery, and the other to the alternator mounting bracket that threads into the block. Sound good?

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
That should make the car run. Now as Tom mentioned you might need one more. Since you don't show what year, the pre-71's rely on a chassis (frame) ground to work the running/turn signal lights. That's because they are screwed into the bumper (frame). A ground strap from the engine block to the frame should be installed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts