Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Please don't laugh at this one. I just got a 72 Malibu and don't know what type of gas is best for it i.e. higher octane = better? Do they make octane boosters and are they worth using? Thanks. Anne

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
I agree with COPO, but I have a couple of questions is this the original motor? if not wat is the compression ratio? if it is 9.5 to 1 or better mid grade or premium would probly be better, if the motor is original then a lead additive will help the valve seals and other parts to stay lubricated, so u need to gather as much info as possible about the motor and go from there, Good Luck L89SEDAN

·
Registered
60 Posts
Run the cheapest gas you can that does not cause the motor to ping. Anything else is a waste of money if your motor doesn't need it. A lead substitute would be a good idea unless you're sure the heads have been upgraded to hardened valve seats.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Anne lead additive does not lubricate the valve seals it lubes the valve seats and valves so there is a cushion, so to speak to prevent metal to metal contact.My engine is mod.with 9.5 to 1 ratio to use reg.gas.Here in Canada reg. most times is over $2.00 a gal Hi test is about $2.50.What we need are more price wars...FRED

·
Registered
63 Posts
Not to make you cry Fred, but I just topped off my 72 with 12 gals of 91 octane (10.5:1) and a bottle of booster for $13~.

Rob

·
Registered
321 Posts
Not to make *ANYONE* scream or cry but...

Yesterday I filled my 70 SS396 with Exxon super for $1.09/gallon. 16.5 gallons for $18USD. Prices are RIDICULOUSLY low right now in NJ! I'm loving it... for now.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I'm just glad that Sunoco 94 is plentiful in NY, and reasonably priced as well ($1.25). With my compression around 9.5-10:1, I only use 110 when I go to the track. 100 goes for $3.95 and 110 goes for a whopping $4.75. The smell of 110 is great, but for that price, is it really worth it? Perhaps some cologne/perfume manufacturers could come up with something to satisfy my olfactory needs(he-he).
Dave

·
Registered
548 Posts
I always kid my sons friends when the tell me about all the things they have now TV COMPUTERS Etc.I tell them we older ones burnt up all the cheap gas 39.9 per gallon and drank all the cheap beer 4.25 for 24 and then they gave you .02 a bottle refund.That was in the 50s and 60s.Some of you guys weren't around back then.Sour grapes NO just some facts.We pay 28.1 a ltr. in tax. A ltr. BTW is about the same size as the US quart.Also back in the 50s and 60s the Imperal gallon was bigger the the US gallon.Talk about your rip off when Canada changed to the Metric system we got screwed in more than one way...FRED

·
Gold Founding Member
63,944 Posts
87 octane is currently 77.9 per gal here in Kansas, that's what I use in my 69 396, the compression is supposed to be 10:1 but it doesn't ping.
When I worked at a service station in the late 50's, regular - leaded was 18.9 per gal.

------------------
Dean

macc.chevelles.net

[This message has been edited by Dean (edited 12-14-98).]

·
Registered
548 Posts
Hey KG dont blame me.Just kidding man! Thats why I stayed with 9.5 and a small block runs 20 mpg so I can afford to drive it 5000 miles a summer.Don't get me wrong I would love to have a 12.5 to 1 engine over 500 horses but then I'd have to feed them. 420 don't eat as much...FRED

G

·
I remember gas at 25.9 a gallon...........plus you got a free glass or steak knife with a purchase over $3.............but I also remember working for $2.25 an hour ,,,,,,,,,I think gas is cheaper today at 92.9 a gallon

·
Registered
548 Posts
Jim your right if we had to buy gas at todays prices with yesterdays wages there would be a lot of thin people around.BTW your age is showing.I was around then be don't remember the price of gas, riding around in Dads old 28 Olds...FRED

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Since the price is 1.09 for 91 Chevron here, I've been using that (can't find higher.) Thanks for all of the help with this, and the entertainment...
I remember my Dad having a fit when it hit .52 so I guess I'm not too old yet.....

·
Premium Member
5,855 Posts
I can remember during the Gas Wars in 1969, Ethel was less than .20/gal. I filled my 68 Elky(9:1 468") up last night here in Wichita Falls,Tx for 75.9cents/gal, Regular unleaded. Better enjoy it while we can.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.