Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question about alt charging, but if this should be in Elec forum with Chevelles please move.

We have a 1979 van and about a year ago the Gen light came on at low bright light. Back then I check the voltage at the battery and It was 12.8 and 13 or 14 after engine rpm and 1000. Just kept drving and figured that may be it was getting weak.

Well last night the GEN light came on full bright and would go off and on. The GEN light also did not seem to go off and on with turn head light on and off and raising the rpm. Gen came on (it seemed at random). It also went completely out whick it never did for the year.

This morning I figured the alt went out so I put on a new one. Started the truck and checked voltage at the battery.

engine not running 12.7 volts
Then started the truck runnig 12.8 volts
raised the Rpms and 14.4 volts
but GEN light is still on bright
???????

Alternator is a 63 amp with the two wires that plug in to the side (not the back) and a battery wire on the back.

Do I run the truck for awhile to see if the light goes out or is there another problem?

Thank for help

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Try flashing the new alternator. Touch a piece of wire from blue ( or white) to the large red output wire. This is the wire that runs up to the lamp. Do this for a couple of seconds. See if that starts the alternator. Car needs to be running when doing this.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts