Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a 4sp console for $20 and i went to try and put it in and its not even close. The guy i bought it from showed me how it fit on his 68 shell he had in his garage and it fit perfectly. I have a after market comp plus hurst shifter on my m-20 4sp. The console just doesn't seem to fit flush like its supposed to. What i me is where it curves up towards the front of the console it doesn't fit tight to the trans tunnel. I was looking at web sites for the last 2hrs tring to find pics of a 4sp console and i found an ok one, and the trans tunnel has a farely big hump towards where the front of the console would meet it, right under the middle of the dash. Mine is more flat, which is one of the reasons it doesn't fit right. Why would this be. Also with a after market shifter wouldn't the shifter be in the same place so the console would fit around it? My shifter is more to the right and doesn' t quite fit in the console. Any help would be great i really want this console to fit. Also if anyone has pics of a 4-sp console in a 68-69 could you please post it or e-mail me i would really appricieate it.

thanks,

------------------

lucky3
1968 Malibu
My 68 Malibu
Dale Earnhardt always

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
It sounds like you'll have to buy a 4 speed trans tunnel hump. I think they're around $40 but don't quote me.

·
Registered
875 Posts
The shift hump for the 4-speed console car is different from that for a bench equipped car. If you do not have the console hump, the console will not fit right. Post a pic and you'll get the definitive answer.

------------------
Patrick, aka Merlin
1968 SS 396/325 4-Speed, White with black vinyl top & black interior.
TC#1017

·
Registered
13,124 Posts
They're right, you WILL need to acquire (they're available repo) a 68-72 4sp w/console tranny tunnel hump. There is also one (1) bracket for attaching a 68-72 console to the tunnel. Then there is the rubber boot, retainer, console wiring harness----------------------------------------------------------------

------------------
Tom Parsons

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes i will probly need the trans tunnel hump because my car was a bench seat car befor. My question is what is the difference between the factory shifter and the comp plus shifter that the console won't fit. The shifter can only bolt on the trans one way, so whats the difference.

thanks,

------------------

lucky3
1968 Malibu
My 68 Malibu
Dale Earnhardt always

·
Registered
13,124 Posts
Hurst makes a specific shifter to fit the 68-72 Chevelle (it has a dogleg which places the shifter handle in the center of the hump). With either bench or buckets, console or plain bezel, the 68-72 shifter handles come through in the center (67-earlier came through over to the left of center).

The FACTORY 68-72 shifter HANDLE had a 90deg angle on the botton end of the handle. This angle placed the FACTORY handle over to the center of the hump.

For 68-72 cars, my FAVORITE shifter combo is to use the 68-72 Hurst shifter, and, locate a stock, factory, 68-72 shifter handle with MUNCIE stamped into the handle. Cut off the angle from the bottom of the handle, drill 2 holes in the handle and bolt it to the Hurst shifter. This gives the best of both worlds. A smooth positive shifter and the appearance of a factory shifter.

------------------
Tom Parsons

·
Registered
226 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.