Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a few different opinions on this, but did 68's come with shoulder belts standard, or as an option? It says in the manual and most advertising it was standard, but mine doesnt have them, and I get mixed answers from everyone I ask? Any of you guys know for sure?

------------------
Justin Kramer
[email protected]
1968 Chevelle 300 Deluxe Sport Coupe 350ci
1978 Malibu Classic 305ci
"Goes real slow with the hammer down!"

·
Registered
88 Posts
I am wondering the same thing. Ditto on my car, i have no shoulder belts, and i'd like to get some. Anyone have any ideas?

------------------
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI> '68 El Camino w/327 Turbo 350, PB, PS, PW, cruise control, A/C, gauges.
<LI> Team Chevelle Member #1289
[/list]

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
First, there are 2 types of belts: Standard and Deluxe. Deluxe is an option package on all 68's, front & rear. Basicly it's just a fanicer looking set of belts.

All 68's came with standard lap belts - front and rear

All 68's except convertables should have had front shoulder belts. Optional (rpo AS1) on converts.

All 68's have optional rear shoulder belts. rpo AS5.

This is from sec. 3, p. 24 of the 'Chevrolet Motor Vehicle Price Schedule - Vol.2 - Revised April 22, 1968

Now, I don't know why Moloko's don't have them, but they're only shown as optional on convertables (from page 16 of the 1968 Optiosn and Features booklet). This would imply that they should have been on all other models.

As for the Elky, sorry Nathan, but my info doesn't get too much into options on them.

Kurt

·
Premium Member
1,754 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Byfield:
All 68's have optional rear shoulder belts. rpo AS5.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you mean "All 68's can have optional rear shoulder belts"? Mine doesn't...kinda what "optional" means

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gene McGill:
Do you mean "All 68's can have optional rear shoulder belts"? Mine doesn't...kinda what "optional" means

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ahmmm...(clear throat)...All 1968 Chevelles were available optionally equiped with rear seat shoulder belts under RPO Code AS5.

How's that Gene?

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
I have had 3 '68 SS396 cars and ALL had the front shoulder belts and one had the rears too. All were also the Deluxe (brushed stainless buckle) style so...

------------------
'65 Maliblue 406SBC/PG TC #811
'94 Camaro 1LE (original owner)
'97 HD Softtail Springer

·
Registered
863 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.