Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a delco dist (point or HEI), when it is completely disassembled all the way down to the bare housing, there is a pocket, chamber, cavity or whatever you want to call it, which surrounds the upper bushing, that cavity is divided into 5 equal sections. Each section is about 3/4in deep and there is a thin, clear plastic seal that covers the top of this cavity.
Now, here is my question. What is that cavity supposed to be filled with? When I clean and rebuild one, the stuff that I clean out of the cavity looks like it may be old, dried out grease with a lot of dirt mixed in with it. In the past I have always refilled this cavity with a heavy grease. Anyone know for sure?

------------------

·
Premium Member
9,796 Posts
I checked the Chevrolet Overhaul manual whichs goes throught eh distributor teardown and it mentions that the felt washer covers the "lubricant reservoir" but does not say what type of lube to put there. Neither does the section on lubrication. So,,, if you found dried grease, maybe a general purpose grease would be OK there.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
DZ, first let me put in a plug:

Dale Johnson - The Mag Shop, Buffalo NY
(716) 833- 1702. Dale does this part time in a shop behind his house. Charges 155 for a small base, 175 for an HEI w/ ignitor. Dale is so good he told me my advance is non linear. Creeps in slow until 2800-2900 and then rushes in by 3400. Most importantly he's courteous, professional and really knows his sh7&.

Anyway, Dale says the factory puts a "solid, fibrous grease" here. He uses sponges impregnated with 50W oil. Says it only works when things are hot. I won't embellish any cause I want to quote verbatum and not confound anything.

Hope this helps. Just about to graft my original shifter handle onto a HurstCompPlus. I'm scared I'll foul it up and ruin it but, with your instructions and a drill press, I'm off. Thanks a bunch. BTW all my Muncie problems were linkage related. Phew!

[This message has been edited by Gene Chas (edited 01-28-2000).]

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info.

------------------

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,010 Posts
DZAUTO,
I fill the cavity with little pieces of shop rag and soak it with 50 weight. Another guy I know uses molykote, another uses wheel bearing grease. AFAIK, this is the only lube the upper bushing ever sees, but it's an oilite bushing and doesn't seem to need much, especially in an HEI where there's no side load. Just my $.02, Tom

[This message has been edited by Tom Mobley (edited 07-17-99).]

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, I have always used a heavy grease. No one has really known in the past, and now with this web site, I thought I would see if anyone knew.

------------------

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
You should use a die-electric grease. If you don't the grease/oil could contaminate the electrical parts causing a failure. Die-electric grease conducts electricty. I beieve its a silecone grease, clear in color comes is a 1 or 2oz tube and available at any GM parts counter.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I think that you are suppose to use that dielectric grease as well. Makes sense - contamination! Anyway, you will pay out of your a*& for that stuff at a GM counter. I think I paid about $9 for a 1 oz tube!

·
Super Moderator
12,786 Posts
Alright,
Let me set this straight, dielectric grease does NOT conduct electricity like some grease will. That is the reason to use it in the distributor, on plug wires etc.

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
Team Chevelle #100

·
Registered
167 Posts
Bill K is right, dielectric grease is an insulator, not a conductor, and if you want some, check with electrical / electronic supply outfits in your area, much cheaper than Delco for the same stuff.

------------------
Steve

72 Chevelle SS402/4sp

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
Not directly related to DZ's question, but...

Do you ever wonder why GM has to sell the same "stuff" (whatever it is) for such a high price when you could buy it somewhere else? Come on, we know the General's name, but give us a brake! Same "stuff" works great w/o the GM name (or AC/Delco)on it! Whew! Just vented! Just had to as I have paid high prices for stuff with the GM logo on it. Some may argue this since knowing they are using something with the GM logo on it implicitly makes it better. On new vehicles it is recommended to use the GM products to keep the warranty in effect. We have no more warranties in effect on our beloved Chevelles!

[This message has been edited by Super70 (edited 01-31-2000).]

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I agree.

------------------
Tom Parsons

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.