Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just where are the Scat forged steel cranks and rods made? Are these sold as "Eagle"? How do you rate their quality and what experience do you base the rating on?

------------------
Redrum (or Mike)
68 Corvette - 383 CI 427 HP
69 SS Chevelle being updated to Pro-Touring
97 Z-28

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,191 Posts
Mike,

Scat has at least 3 completely different lines of cranks:

1) Chinese cast steel cranks, they sell lots of these, around $250. Others sell the same pieces with different names, sometimes the grind is not very consistant. The 383 Chevy is the big seller here.

2) Chinese forged steel cranks, around $700. These are pretty good pieces, but final finish often leaves a little to be desired. I have had to have these ground to .010,.010 because some of the journals were under or right at the bottom of spec. I don't like loose bearings at all.

3) USA made billet real racer cranks, $1300 and up. They will make about anything you want and can afford. These are primo, nice as anything out there. Very popular in oval track racing, tough parts.

I'm not really up on their rods, but I wouldn't be surprised if they have a couple price and quality points there too.

Basically, you get what you pay for, nothing new here.

I've used quite a bit of their stuff, been happy overall.

They have a cool crank for the 383, stroke is 3.800, gives zero deck without milling the **** out of the block and a few more cubes to boot. This is one of the $700 steel variety, counterweights are cut for 5.7" rods, needs a 400 balancer and flywheel or expensive internal balance job. I think it's available with 400 mains as well.

Tom

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.