Team Chevelle banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience with the three spoke steering wheels which are available reproduction from sources such as Muscle Factory? I am talking about the "simulated wood" or "cushion grip" versions with brushed metal spokes.

Is the quality good? How is the graining? Any other pros / cons?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
Gary

I bought one and took it right back once I installed it. My issue was the strength of the rim of the wheel. It was somewhere between rubbery and the rigidity of an original. I just did not like that feel..you could bend it all outta shape by just moving your hand for and aft while gripping the rim. It LOOKED great and fit fine but eather the plastic is way too flexible OR the originals have some sort of reinforcement backbone in them which has ben omitted in the repros.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I bought a wood grain wheel, and returned it before I even installed it. The color and look of the wood grain was terrible. I swapped it out for a cushion grip, which I am very happy with.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
I bought a cushion-grip wheel from the sponsor of this forum, and I'm 100% pleased with it. It is machined very well -- and I'm very picky about things like this. If it had been poor work, I would've yanked it back off the car immediately.

Regarding the previous comment with respect to the strength of the wheel, it has been a non-issue for me; it's very solid and doesn't give me cause for concern. Having said that, however, I don't know if there is more than one manufacturer making them or not. It very well could be possible that we have wheels from two different companies or perhaps QA was asleep at the wheel (bad pun, I know) when they made his?

The one part of the steering wheel kit that I expected to be poor quality was the horn cap, and I was pleasantly surprised about that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts