Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to get my car ready for the drive to Chevell-abration. I've got the date coded, original carb. off of one of my other cars on this car and it needs help. I've also got the original carb. for the car that a prior owner stripped the inlet threads on. I need to do something about my carburetor situation before the trip.

I was all set to buy a carb. from Jet Performance. I just got off the phone and they're quoting a 4 week turnaround, which is doable if they stick to it.

The options:<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
* Send the car's original carb. to Jet Performance for a rebuild (add a few days to schedule for shipping the old one and hope that it gets here in time).
* Buy another carb from Jet Performance.
* Rebuild the current carb as backup (I need it also, but think that it may have problems beyond a rebuild).
* Buy another carb, say an Edelbrock (q'jet replacement from aftermarket available in a few days).
* Go to AutoZone and buy a $150 (plus core) Holley rebuilt carb (will take a week to get).[/list]

I will ultimately need one more carb than I currently have for another project.

THE QUESTIONS:
Does anyone have experience with Jet Performance as to the quality of their services and promptness of delivery?

Does anyone have experience with the Edelbrock replacement carbs.

What would you do?

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

------------------
TCG #31
ACES #931
NCOA {who cares now?}

My amateurish page
My oldest post*
*Archived Tech Reference requires Team Membership.

For Sale:
----------------------------------
'72 GMC Sprint
'70 Chevelle (for parts or rebuilder)

·
Registered
543 Posts
I got an edelbrock q-jet replacement from summit, 750 cfm divorced choke if I recall. That and the HEI really woke up that 396, will be 5 years ago. drove it last night. yes my original q-jet is in the box

[This message has been edited by leeds (edited 05-02-2001).]

·
Registered
25 Posts
I prefer to buy new carbs myself. I know that a quality rebuild should make a carb almost like new but I'd rather spend the extra $$ and get a brand new one.

I bought a Edelbrock Q-Jet style carb for my
69 396 and was very happy with it. I forget what I paid but it was fairly expensive.

I just purchased a new Holley Street Avenger
for my 64 283. It's not on yet but I've heard nothing but good things about this carb.

I got a great deal on the SA from a shop down in southern CA. Paid $275 (before tax & shipping). Got the tip from another member.

J & M Speed Center (909-688-7110)

Something to think about anyway...

·
Read Only
589 Posts
Alan,
I bought a Holley rebuilt Qjet 3 years ago and its still working fine. Bought the one for a 72 350 single exhaust and ran fine on my then 307.

------------------
Tino #28 Gold
72 Malibu 350-300,700R4
83 Grand Prix LJ 305

·
Registered
16 Posts
I bought a Holley rebuilt a year ago. It was the biggest piece of junk Iv'e been involved with. After buying it I spent about another 200.00 to try to get it right at a carb shop. The carb never was right. I bought a Eldebrock Performer and took care of the problem. Wish that I would have done it in the first place. Buy new, not rebuilt from Holley.

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,687 Posts
Being the cheap SOB that I am, first I'd rebuild the best of the two. I believe repair kits are available for stripped inlet fittings. Qjets aren't that hard to rebuild. If isn't successful, I'd get a $150 rebuilt carb. At least it will look original and be a lot less $ than an Edelbrock, which would be my 3rd choice.

------------------
von '69 300 Dlx SS TC #15 ACES #1575
My '69 SS

[This message has been edited by von (edited 05-03-2001).]

·
Registered
16 Posts
I wasn't concerned with originality. I was able to get my Eldebrock for 200.00. I am lucky to have conections at an auto parts store and get about 20% off. I do have a 800 double pumper on a big block Camaro which is tad more radical than my big block Chevelle and love it, never had a problem with it.

I had several problems with the rebuilt Q-Jet from Holley. The first problem was that the Welsch plugs in the bottom of the fuel bowl leaked I cured that with epoxy. The overall problem with the carb was that it would never run right on the car tried differant m-rods,ect and it would always have a spot where it would lose power. I got tired of messing with it myself ( I have rebuilt several Q-Jets, and acutally like them) and took it to a carb shop where I thought they would actually know more about it than me. They did, but were still not able to get it right. They mentioned to me that the carb "was no virgin" ie; that the parts probably had been recycled many time before it's Holley incarnation. They also mentioned that with these types of rebuilds going down an assembly line that often a lot of mismatched parts get put into these rebuilts. So I ended up paying a lot of money for the carb shop to do the same thing I was doing anyway...trial and error. So I agree with the other guys... It's cheap to try to rebuild the one you have if you have the inclination to do it. However, based on my experience I wouldn't buy a rebuilt I'd buy new.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.