Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to rebuild my Quadrajet carb. Anyone have any tips before I get started on this rebuild? I have not rebuilt a Quadrajet before.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Be VERY careful when you re-assemble the carb. Sometimes the primary metering rods may pop out of their jets and get bent when putting the top of the carb on. If you have a digital camera, take a picture of the before taking it off of the manifold. This will give you a reference for throttle cable, return springs etc. Patience, there are a lot of parts that must align perfectly in order for them to fit correctly. The gasket that fits over the power piston gave me fits. Roe's book is priceless. Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
There is a video available called "Performance Four Barrel:" Quadrajet. Fairly brief but worth checking out. Try to get it from a Library if you can.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just finished doing my first rebuild last month - it wasn't that bad - Roe's book is priceless -

best suggestion - don't force ANYTHING - there are a couple of small parts that you need to kep track of - the rods do bend very easily - so be careful - you don't want to notch the jets by having the screw driver slip(if you take them out), it will screw up fuel flow - and DON'T overtighten any of the screws / bolts

The part I hate most is the choke rod that connects the choke plate to the choke lever - you need to get a small beam light and fish it into the hole.

Other than that - it's scary your first time - but it's a breeze

Steve

·
Premium Member
1,651 Posts
davidholloway77 - Getting Doug Roe's book is an excellant first step. Not only will it help you with the first rebuild, but you will find yourself going back to it many times as you tune and expirement in the future.

Just a few things to remember: Take your time - you don't want to be in a hurry. The QJ has some small/delicate parts. Find a wide, clean area to work. Draw the linkages, noting how all the bends go, and which way the ends point. Avoid taking the choke apart if you don't have to. In most cases you won't need to seperate the throttle plates from the throttle shafts, just clean all of the passages out good with carb cleaner and put a new gasket between the throttle body and the main body. Be careful putting the top section (airhorn) back on. Very easy to bend the primary metering rods! Its also easier to put the airhorn back on if you take out secondary metering hanger and rods and reinstall after the airhorn is back on. I've found that the float adjustment is fairly critical. Make sure that it is right.

Best of Luck!

Mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.