Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Gold Founding Member
1970 Chevelle Convertible & 1965 Chevelle SS Convertible
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My local parts supplier advised me that I need the part number from my Quadrajet so he can order a rebuld kit. Unfortantely the little tag with the part number is missing.

How do I find out the correct part number. The car is a 1970 396/350 Calf car with A/C. The casting number on the carb is 7040504FR.

GM was unable to help.

Any help would be apprecaiated.

Rich

------------------
70 SS - L34
Sea Mist Green
N.J.
Member # 442
www.chevelles.com/showroom/richr1

·
Registered
321 Posts
richr,

Are you sure he just didn't mean the carb casting number? I think he wants to identify which Quadrajet it is, since it was THE most popular 4 barrel carb GM ever produced and was used on virtually all models with minor differences.

My carb is and yours should be QuadraJet 4MV.

My carb is stamped with numerals identifying it on the throttle linkage side just behind the cast "QuadraJet" logo.

------------------
??michael j Team Chevelle Gold #77
70 Chevelle SS396 4sp, Fathom Blue/White Stripes - Canadian built

[This message has been edited by michael j (edited 11-29-99).]

·
Gold Founding Member
1970 Chevelle Convertible & 1965 Chevelle SS Convertible
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Michael,

Just for chance I called another auto parts store in my area. I gave them the casting number on the carb, he came up with a kit with no problem. I'll know if its correct when I pick it up on Sat. I also ordered a brass float for it. I guess the first parts store guy was just too lazy to figure it out.

Thks

Rich

·
Registered
144 Posts
Parts stores should be able to do by the casting # on the carb. That's how I got mine. I wasn't sure about the model #, as Michael discussed above, at the time I needed the rebuild. Glad you got it taken care of, though.

------------------
Jeremy J. Bennett
Team Chevelle #298
www.chevelles.com/showroom/72CHEVELLE1.jpg

·
Super Moderator
12,786 Posts
Just wanted to clarify some terminology to help you guys in the future when ordering parts. A casting number is a number that is "cast" into the part when it is made in the mold. This could be a block, a carb body, or any other part that is cast in a mold. The number on the side of a Q-jet that is STAMPED into the carb after it is made, is indeed the part number or the carb, or other part for that matter. Casting numbers are rarely used for parts ordering purposes. Rich, I think you were confusing the guys by telling them you had a "casting" number.
Hope this helps,

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
Team Chevelle #100

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.