Chevelles.com banner

101 - 120 of 145 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
More the outside edge if I recall.

PS, the 1/4 mile track shut down for the season. So no 1/4 mile runs in 2020. Sort of sucky.

·
Premium Member
1,961 Posts
Just use this Spectre spacer kit; I bet your air cleaner will clear the qjet with the 1/4" spacer.
The kit has 1/4, 1/2 and 1" spacers

Reactions: 427L88

·
Premium Member
16,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
Beth, I made up a 1/2" phenolic spacer used under the Qjet ( and Holley) to keep them and the fuel cool. I "wouldn't leave home with out it". But it limits height.

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
More the outside edge if I recall.

PS, the 1/4 mile track shut down for the season. So no 1/4 mile runs in 2020. Sort of sucky.
You people must be close to your first lake affect snow? We've had a few flakes here.

·
Premium Member
16,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
Not quite yet, but it could be at any time now. Was hoping for the same fall air ( 50 degrees) that the 427 ran @ 118.75 in, but alas, will have to wait till spring now. The local 1/4 track WAS scheduled for TnT last Sat and this, but decided to close early to get some drainage ditches excavated before it does indeed snow....

BUT Carb came in from Eric yesterday. Yes, it was a BLESSED day! ;) Good news is only the electrical tab for the choke was interfering with the 2" drop base. Although, the accel pump arm still interferes slightly, and I cant seem to bend the fuel line close enough to the nut to get it to not want to rub on the bottom of the air cleaner base. Double gasketing the 5 1/4" hole, or a small spacer of approx 0.060" height should do it.

Do you all grind the 'spade' connector on the Qjet electric chokes to be universal fit, or is there a special convoluded GM connector that fits that "keyed" spade?

I wont know what to do, with having a choke and all. :)

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
I've just used the GM connector. I don't think it would hurt to make it generic if you could get your air cleaner to fit.

·
Premium Member
16,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
Easy to grind, than to a find a GM oddball connector I should think.

·
Premium Member
28,455 Posts
Gene,FWIW I bought one of these:
and robbed the base to use on a Qjet I was having accelerator pump clearance issues with. I was using the typical 14x3 dropped base air cleaner and installed the base from the 6 3/8" OD air cleaner on the Qjet first, then installed the drop base on top.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Dorman 85113.

Your local parts house should be able to get it for you as well.

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
Ya it would plus this is gonna stick out more.

·
Premium Member
16,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
Summit one day shipping has been invoked! Thank's y'all. I'll try a .500" spacer that I can take down to half in a lathe. Plus the GM pigtail.

No fuel pump yet Eric; I'll rig the Cater 172 with a reg to 5.5psi.

No snow yet either Jim, but Friday is the only clear day we have this week. Hope to "test drive" the Qjet by then. It will be 70 and sunny. I'l pretend I'm in CA.

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
Gene you have a lathe? Made mine from PVC think I used a coupling turned down.

·
Premium Member
16,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #113 (Edited)
i'll have to edit that out to 'whittle'. but yes i do. Frankly, I think I can stack gaskets to make it work just fine. Or clamp the spacer and grind it down if need be.

a pvc ring is all that's needed!

·
Premium Member
16,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
Too late. I'll have to whittle down the one that is coming if need be. But thnx.

·
Premium Member
16,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
Jim, lathe...? ha! yes, not a 'smithng lathe, but a big old ancient wobbler. PRATT and WHITNEY. a custom lathe they had made for the plant they used to have here in the 20's and 30's. Became Bell Aircrafts eventually.

A gasket sandwich is all it took to provide ample clearance for the accel pump arm to clear nicely. It also raised the base to clear my temp fuel line better. Have the oem Qjet line. Couldnt bend my temp line quite like the machines do at the carb. It was rubbing the base. Will rig the oem line once its dialed in and a non externally regulated supply can be installed. Ironically, it looks like a race car now.

TESTING: well Mobley was right, I AM a dirt farmer and even though I was being fastidious in carefully bending the terminal backwards to clear the base, I found it had cracked at the bend. The the oem connector wouldn't install nice with it doing a backflip like that btw. That's when I found it had cracked. Still attached but one jiggle and it gave way. Brittle.

That and rain for the last few days conspired to PPD testing. New choke thermo arrives shortly ( QJet Parts outta JERSEY!) although I soldered the old one up, it works fine. SATURDAY I finally get the drive the Qjet around. And I will try to get some measurable seat time that day.

Eric, I dont know why I would replate this carb, you cant hardly see it nestled under that 2" drop base.

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
Hopefully it works out this time!
Mine has a few years on it too. Lathe1.jpg

·
Premium Member
16,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #118 (Edited)
VERY similar but you have more tooling for sure! I think junior is going to sell the beast. I would like a small Clausing for gunsmithing, etc. Something you can put a barrel thru the headstock is all.

This "Eric fella" seems to really know his way around the carb, so I am confident it will run decently this time. TRICK OR TREAT!

12 hr shift yesterday ( it was nice out - I wish I could have!), one "gap" on Saturday. Next Monday or Tuesday , high of 36 and snow. Old Red hibernates. I hear the fat lady singing!

·
Premium Member
16,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
PS the new choke from NJ gets hot but don't much work. Yippe kai yay!

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
Won't open or what?

101 - 120 of 145 Posts