Chevelles.com banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How about using a fella who actually designed the Qjet as the rebuilder?
Tom Toal. Ontario NY . Tom was on the original Qjet desgn team. I just dropped off Harold Bettes Qjet that I cant seem to get to run, and Tom Mobley's which "flapped on and off".

Anyway, if anyone needs a Qjet redone I;d recommend Tom. I met up with him when I first got the Chevelle 20 years ago. Now I am FINALLY getting around to putting a proper Qjet on top. We'll see how gifted he still in a week or so when I bolt one on.

Just putting that out there, FYI.

·
Premium Member
2,554 Posts
Interesting stuff there Gene.
I bet that Tom Toal knows his way around the Q Jet carb !!
Please let us know how it works when you get it on and running.
Guy

Reactions: 427L88

·
Premium Member
15,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I forget the #, but Tom said yesterday the Qjet was THE MOST produced carburetor, ever.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have only heard good things about SMI. I talked to him earlier this year about getting one, but he was about 8 weeks out and I needed one sooner.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Q_jet....."flapped on and off". Can you explain or describe this problem in more detail.??

Thanks, Bob

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
28,972 Posts
yes, please do.

·
Premium Member
15,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bob, Tom did, the minute he touched the flaps, he said they were too loose. 600 ft lbs is not the kind of thing you want to turn ON OFF and ON again. Guess I've never had a Qjet atop a 600 ft lbs beast before. I did tighten the flaps once and had the same effect, so I pulled that Qjet off and put my trusty Holley back on.

TomM, I told him you called me a dirt farmer for pulling the choke off! He got a laugh out of that.

Anyways, while Sean Murphy may have a good reputation, Tom is one of the original RPD design team from the 60's. Yeah he was a young ME back then. He's maybe 70 now. So Tom can teach Sean a few things I m sure. He is not a business, doesn't stock carbs, just a retired RPD engineer keeping busy on a bench in his garage.

We'll see how good he is if he finds the issue with the other one I gave him, one professionally built for me that wont seal even @ 5 psi.

·
Boldly procrastrinating
28,972 Posts
Gene, properly set up the spring on the sec air valve is really not the controlling factor. The choke pull-off is. you need a pull-off with 1 to 2 second duration. That's what was on it when I sent it to you. if the air valve opens too quick/easy the car will bog. I set them up on the tight side when shipping carbs out of state, so it will run good, no bogs. If the owner wants the last nth of performance it's done on the car.

·
Boldly procrastrinating
28,972 Posts
>> ..."and Tom Mobley's which "flapped on and off"."
Gene, if you want to post something like this in public I'd appreciate you also pointing out that you starting altering/butchering the carb I sent you before even running it on the car. This is a fast way to failure as your results clearly show.

Just putting this out there, FYI.

BTW, Toal is right about the production numbers. Millions of Q's were built and installed from 65 or so to the end in 89. A few were built after that, installed on trucks.

·
Premium Member
15,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tom, for the record your carb ran fine except for the flap tuning. Exacerbated by the float being a little low, set by yours truly ( I was being careful after the other Qjet spewed all over the place) . It was the OTHER carb that Tom couldnt get right and basically said its junk. The builder altered the fuel inlet too much. It will never fill properly. He was not very kind about the hackery to that Qjet. I brought yours along since I was going to be with the expert anyhow and figired Tom could show me a thing or two about secondary tuning I forget.

BTW, removing the choke as it will not work with a 2" drop base isnt what I would consider butchery. Unfortunately the other QJ someone paid $400 for as a favor to me , was butchered to FUBAR. I couldn't fix that one myself , even going to 5 psi.

The only comment about your carb was that Tom T said was to always use that little needle clip as it keeps the needle against the float and helps fill the bowl faster. He felt if it was missing, sometimes the needle would not rise quickly enough when the bowl empties.

·
Boldly procrastrinating
28,972 Posts
Gene, sorry I was a little irritable there.

FYIi, I haven't installed one of those little float clips in 30 tears. Not going to be starting.

I set your float at 5/16 inch down from the top of the casting. It can be as high as 1/4" but the driver may experience wonky behavior on rough roads and suchlike.

·
Premium Member
10,582 Posts
Anyone have an opinion about Sean Murphy Induction ? He seems to have a good reputation.
Yes, he is local to me. Sean is a good guy. I've had him rework two Dominators for me that I bought new. Both performed as expected and I provided him engine spec's when I took them over there.
Happy customer..

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
You adjust the secondary opening by crimping the tubing where the vacuum hose goes. The spring with the little allen locking screw is just to close the flap when it not in use... It has nothing to do with the opening time of the flapper..

·
Premium Member
13,579 Posts
www.customrebuiltcarbs,com is who I use, he is in NJ and has quick turnaround. Click on my link and give Phil a call and good luck!!

·
Premium Member
15,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Hydro, that is not entirely correct. The spring and dampner work in tandem in a tug of war.

Hey , you know who else builds a great drag Qjet? Mark Jones. He was kind enough to lend me a drag Qjet for initial fire up. No power piston. Fat as a big bootied grandma, but dang did it have EXCELLENT throttle response. Ate fuel like a Holley dominator puttin' around town tho! No power piston = only for "cruising the pits"! .

PS, I'm sure there are alot of good Qjet rebuilders out there, but to clarify TOM TOAL WAS ON THE 1960's QJET DESIGN TEAM. So if you have some freaky issue, one of the fellas that made the blueprints is a valuable resource. Hence why I wanted to share with y'all. He could likely teach the rest a bit.

·
Premium Member
15,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Hey Mobley, dont apologize. The old interrogation sgt has thick skin. Plus, I still duck into CE once in a while and really get the crap kicked outta me. Its sport now you know. Civil Civics and all. :rolleyes:

All I did was remove the choke, which sort of bummed me out, but the 2" drop X 14" base has to stay. Already tig altered to clear the rear accel arm of a Holley. I know , more dirt farmer stuff! :)

Might have to gussy her up a bit with some Eastwoods dichromate paint before she takes her place atop that sweet MJ467 for cruising/ OTR duty. Yup , dirt farmer with a rattle can!

Thanks again for the Qjet buddy! Hope you have a nice weekend in AZ!

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Hey , you know who else builds a great drag Qjet? Mark Jones. He was kind enough to lend me a drag Qjet for initial fire up. No power piston. Fat as a big bootied grandma, but dang did it have EXCELLENT throttle response. Ate fuel like a Holley dominator puttin' around town tho! No power piston = only for "cruising the pits"! .
Was that by chance a `72 Buick QJet 7042240?

·
Premium Member
4,473 Posts
Was that by chance a `72 Buick QJet 7042240?
No, Gene had a burning desire to put a Q-Jet on his 467. Because It took so long to build Gene's engine I thought I would have Harold Bettes build a Q-Jet for Gene, which I did pay 400.00, and give it free of charge to Gene for his patients, well apparently it was wasn't done correctly, so as usual I created a problem for myself........never again.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts