Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After realizing the 68SS i purchased did not have a kickdown switch on the carb or on the gas pedal, I decided to start checking I.D. numbers on everything. The carb I Have is a carter #7044223.I know it was made in 1974 and the last number is odd meaning its for a manual transmission.My car is a 396/350hp w/a TH400 automatic trans. Whats the main differences between auto-carbs and man-carbs? do I need to do anything to this carb to continue running it? I just bought a rebuild kit-A GP Sorenson #96-577a.Should I even rebuild it? or do I need to find another one.

·
Registered
73 Posts
depends on what you are looking for. Date correct, numbers matching, or just correct year.

The factory regularly switched between manual and automatic carbs. The main difference is the kick down cable attachment.

Since your carb is a 1974, you may find that there are extra vacuum ports that have no apparent use. Just plug them off.

Also, take a good look at the main jets and rods. You may find that your engine and cam specs may require you to richen the mixture. Also look at the secondary rods. You should be able to post this in the performance section and get a good starting point. Also, include your driving style (pure drag, street/strip, or just a daily driver).

I found a 72 model q-jet for my 72 El Camino at a swap meet for $10. Rebuilt it, and it works fine.

Get the Rochester book by Doug Roe if you are going to be doing any real work on the carb.

Good luck,

Tom.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanx Tom. I was just wondering what the main differences were.I couldnt find any info on that.this is just a occasional driver car that im slowly getting in running order and want to make sure i do things right the first time so I can eliminate the problems one by one.Ill be sure to check the jet sizes and stuff as i go. thanx again

·
Registered
127 Posts
I think the carb would be ok. Not sure about the 400 but isn't the kickdown an electric switch on the gas pedal? Did 68s come with tb400 from the factory?

------------------
KJ
I don't make the rules I just play the game!
1968 Chevelle

·
wagons rule!
3,249 Posts
th400's use an electric kickdown. it is a switch mounted on the gas pedal bracket. it is a different bracket then a gas pedal bracket without a th400. it is also the same bracket used for the cowl induction flaper signal on 70-72. on a th400 nothing goes to the carb.

------------------
1970 Chevelle 454 Wagons haul A$$ in style! "The Chopped Suburban". to see some goto
www.EINSTYN.com FO_FDYFO = four-fifty four! TC#1460, VCEA#2

G

·
If you would like an old Qjet, I have the one that came on my 67 327 chevelle, just sitting in a box in the shop. Car had a powerglide in it from the factory. Your 74 carb bites the big one for adjustment. Unless someone has removed the plugs in the base plate, you can't adjust the idle mixture. You will also find that it is lean, smog nonsense.

The last good adjustable Qjet made was 73, I have one of those on the 71.

If you can find one, the Qjets on Mercury Marine engines work good and are the early type carbs. Lots of them out there.

------------------
www.muncie4speed.com
Gold 67
1967 Malibu, 2nd owner.
1971 Malibu, been in the family since new.
There is nothing like rowing through the gears at 7500. Stick cars are so much fun they should be a controlled substance!

[This message has been edited by Wally (edited 01-19-2002).]

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know the kickdown switch is supposed to be down on the pedal brkt.But my bracket and switch arent there.I did find the wires though, and they still go to the transmission.Ordered the brkt/switch assy from Ground Up FRi. I only wondered what this carb came off of and how it would work on my motor.Wally, this carb has the two idle mixture screws on the baseplate and I also think that it is running rich and not lean. My car has 3:08 gears and keeping my foot out of it I still get poor gas mileage.After driving my 79Camaro w/ 4:11 in it, this seems about the same...Im tearing the carb off tonight to rebuild and see what jets and stuff are in it.Ill post up later....thanx again to all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.