Team Chevelle banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
NO I had midas rig up mine since they didn't offer a set of pipes from the manifolds back. They only offered header systems when I purchased mine.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I have the 3 inch on my car and the tail pipes fit great however the pipes that go from th headers to the mufflers fit like crap and i had to bend them a substantial amount to get the to clear the driveshaft, I would reccomend the flowmaster system with your muffler of choice

·
Vendor
242 Posts
I have the 3 inch on my car and the tail pipes fit great however the pipes that go from th headers to the mufflers fit like crap and i had to bend them a substantial amount to get the to clear the driveshaft, I would reccomend the flowmaster system with your muffler of choice
Did you get a kit with the X-pipe or just straight pipes? You should have given us a call. We coulda helped you out there. There's no fit issues with either system between the headers and the mufflers. Only if you have headers that don't point at the crossmember humps in which case you will have trouble with any pre-boxed system.

·
Premium Member
28,846 Posts
I have The Pypes 3" headpipes on my 70 SS454 and we just put a Pypes non X system on a 1970 Olds 442..the down pipes that Pypes makes for the stock exhaust manifolds bolted right up perfect :thumbsup:

Very happy with the fit on both cars.
In fact,our garage just became an authorized installer for Pypes

·
Registered
225 Posts
I purchased their 3" X-pipe system for my 71 SS454. The quality was good, but the tailpipes hung down way too low. The tailpipes on the chevelle that they showed on their website were tucked up very nice, but I found out later that these were "customized". I ended up having new tailpipes installed, now I'm happy. As with any kit, there were too many clamps involved; you don't run into this with a custom exhaust at a professional shop. If I had to do over, I would have a full custom exhaust installed by a professional exhaust shop. I ended up with over $800 of exhaust work because I had to have new tailpipes made and installed.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Did you get a kit with the X-pipe or just straight pipes? You should have given us a call. We coulda helped you out there. There's no fit issues with either system between the headers and the mufflers. Only if you have headers that don't point at the crossmember humps in which case you will have trouble with any pre-boxed system.
I got the strait pipes, and the headers fit perfect (dougs) and are pointed perfectly strait. I will see if i can get some pictures

1 - 9 of 9 Posts