Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The day I fired up my 454 after rebuild it has a ticking. I've adjusted the rockers every way everyone has sugested. Still to no avail. Tore her down yesterday and cam is fine. Put new lifters and comp roller tips in because old lifters had 150,000 miles on them. Still ticking.
One bad thing I noticed was my intake valve stems. While intake was off and intake valves were open I saw bad wear on valve stems. Lots of up and down scratches.
The ticking is definately coming from the top. These heads were redone at time of rebuild and I remember they replaced all intake guides. But said intake valves were OK.
I'm stumped and discouraged?

------------------
MY CAR
Stacey
67 chevelle

At sixteen I got my license. (One of the best days of my life.)

·
Premium Member
13,692 Posts
I believe that I would have had the heads completely rebuilt and installed a new cam and lifters at the time of rebuild,with 150,000 miles,you definately got your moneys worth and it sounds like that is what you need to do now,heads and cam,you don't want to hear that,I know...

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Stacey, i had a problem like yours and i to thought it was in the vavletrain. after replacing cam and lifters and many adjustments later, i did check the fuel pump and the spring inside was broke. it made a ticking sound that increased with rpm. just changed the pump and all was well. Good luck!

Gutz

------------------
1966 ChevelleSS LS-7/4spd
1966 Malibu 396/4spd
1971 RS Camaro 396/4spd
My66Malibu396

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
Did you check your valve train geometry? If your heads have been milled you may need longer pushrods. There's alot to consider here. proper geometry is critical. You say you replaced the lifters? Did you break them in properly? As I understand it, you put 150,000 miles on your car in 18 months? That's alot of driving!

[This message has been edited by Jimmy P (edited 09-16-2001).]

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Stacey, my cousin is having the same issues in his 454. He built it with a comp cams hydraulic roller using crane anti-pumpup lifters. Rattles like crazy on 1st startup, then will get a little quieter.
If you hammer it, they stop for a bit, then start right back up taping. Driving him nuts. Crane gave him a big run around.

------------------
71 Ragtop, finally under reconstruction!
MCC #347, TC (Gold) #174
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
It could be an exhaust gasket leak.
I had exactly the same vavetrain clicking noise on my 454, or so I thought. It turned out to be a small leak where the exhaust manifold meets the head.

Try this:
Disconnect one spark plug wire at a time and
run the engine (of course, it won't run very well), but if the noise goes away then you've isolated the offending cylinder. Then reconnect all plug wires, start it up again, and feel around that exhaust port for leaks (of course, try not to touch any metal - it'll be hot !).

------------------
Dan Carr
[email protected]
Team Chevelle Gold Member #11, ACES #701
Author of the GMC Sprint, El Camino, and '68-'72 SS Authentication pages.
See my GM A-body fleet at:
www.rmi.net/~dcarr/cars/cars.HTM

·
Registered
333 Posts
Possible that some of your valve springs may have gone down. Were these replaced when your had your heads gone thru? If your valve springs have weakened you valve could be floating and could produce a similar noise.

------------------
Armando
San Gabriel, CA
66 Malibu,454,M22
57 Bel Air
95 Impala SS

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Is it a Timex?

sorry.

rebuild the heads, replace the push rods.
be sure you have good push rod guides with the roller rockers. You didn't put new lifers on an old cam did you?

Dave

·
Registered
514 Posts
this may be silly and im probably wrong but when you did the new cam and lifters doesn't the new cam affect the amount the valves open and close and the intake valves are always bigger than intake (right?) did you check for piston to valve clearance? if its only on the intake valves maybe just the inbtakes are hitting the pistons?
just a thought I'm rookie just trying to help out… good luck…

------------------
1970 chevelle
406 - TH-350 - One legger rear

"taking a long time, but I'm doing it myself (with lots of help) and proud of it!"

http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/engine.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
try different rocker arms, the magnum roller tip steel ones make noise. We have had a few posts on this one, mine sounded like all the lifters were shot.

------------------
Dave
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv
72 chevelle
TC member #493
Never forget Earnhardt!

·
Registered
177 Posts
I think it's the Magnum Roller tips. I have them on my 427 and shes a ticker. Ive tried to adjust them to no evale. I have broze guides,7/16push rods, Edelbrock torker cam, "changed once" still the same tic. It sounds like only one or two. It only happens at cruse RPM, just my luck. I like to hear from people running this combo with out problems. It doesn't bother me, she screams!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.