Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a post in troubleshooting about rocker arms seeming not to be oiling enough on a 454. All rockers are oiling but half of them are just barely flowing oil. I hear a slight clatter at 3,000 RPM. I decided to replace the lifters. Today I found the push rods are the type with the ball on the end. Are these after-market? I also noticed that the hole on the end of the push rods with the ball seems to be smaller. I held the rocker arm and push rod together and blew air through the two pieces to check for rocker angle. I also did the same thing with small block rocker and push rod with out the ball on the end. I think the small block push rod has a larger hole on the end of the push rod. Blowing air through the small block push rod combination was a different rocker angle than blowing air through the big block rocker combination (push rod with the ball). The big block rocker angle seemed to be in a more open angle (not in normal operation angle) than the small block combination. My first thought is - do push rods without the ball have a bigger hole on the end? Maybe allowing oil to get to the small hole of the rocker arm with more flow. Any ideas or info about push rods with the ball on the end would be appreciated. Thank you.

------------------
stano
69 SS

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
The ball style ends are an older type and I have had both that type and the one piece pushrods. If the holes seem larger, then the ends are probably wearing away. Oil pressure could then bleed away from this uneven surface so that oil doesn't flow up to the rocker arm.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.