Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have taken the dash out of my 68 Chevelle and I was thinking of changing the ignition from a keyed start to just a pushbutton start. This car will never be out of my sight, so theft is not an issue. Is there any aftermarket pushbutton starters availavle to fit in that slot? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
You can do this with common stuff from a hardware store. If you got rid of the key assembly completely, you will need a toggle switch to enable the ignition and a momentary normally open push button switch for the starter. For the ignition wiring, run one 10 guage wire from the battery to one terminal of the toggle. The other terminal gets a 10 guage wire to the HEI coil, or if you have points run it to one side of a ballast resistor. The other side of the resistor goes to the points coil. For the starter, run a 10 guage wire from the battery to one terminal of the push button switch, from the other terminal run a wire to the "S" stud on the starter solenoid. (small stud closest to the engine block). You will have to turn on the ignition toggle and then hit the starter button to fire the engine. Turn off the toggle to turn off the engine. Two things to remember...the car will start in any gear unless you wire the neutral safety switch into the wire from the pushbutton to the starter solenoid. To do this instead of wiring direct to the "S" terminal on the solenoid you would wire from the push button to one terminal on the NS switch, and from the other NS terminal to the "S" terminal on the starter. Also you want to make sure you have the toggle switch off if the engine is not running, or you could damage your ignition system. Sounds complicated but it really is simple, I just did this yesterday to one of my camaros to get it running.

------------------
Dave (NY)
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv
72 chevelle
TC member #493
Never forget Earnhardt!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will save this post and follow it when I re-install the dash. For a clean look, where do you mount the button. Can it be retro-fitted in the old ignition hole, or does that hole have to be filled with a blank? I am assuming the toggle can just go under the dash.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.