Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am replacing the clutch on my son's 71 454 clone and noticed that the socket on the end of the throw out bearing fork, where the push rod seats, is just about worn all the way through. Tomorrow I plan to take it to work and have a friend weld it up and then drill into the weld to renew the socket. Has anyone ever tried this? Your success? Any recomendations? Any comments? Somebody say something.

------------------

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Hey DZ, Yea I had to do that once, I did it for a tempoary fix, and ummmmmmmm I think it was that way when I sold the car
, worked good, L89SEDAN

·
Registered
13,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ALL RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANKS!

------------------

·
Registered
13,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I might. When I grow up. Next year I will have been 17-----------------------------40yrs ago. Nuthin compares to power shiftin 2nd gear at 6500!

------------------

·
Registered
527 Posts
How are the clips that retain the fork to the bell housing and hold the throwout bearing? I wouldnt weld it if other componenets are worn. I would buy a new one.

·
Registered
13,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They are in good shape, plus the welding is free. Too cheap.

------------------

·
Registered
71 Posts
You might consider a little "backyard" heat treating when the welding/shaping is complete. Hardening that area might increase it's life. Just a thought, Bryan

·
Registered
13,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well it's welded, shaped, looks good and ready to re-install. Here goes.

------------------

·
Registered
13,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This has been an excellent repair. The welding was done for free by a friend. L89 says his lasted a long time. This is the fork that was on my special order 72 wagon. So maybe it will last another 27yrs.

------------------

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.