Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What could possibly be going on here? With the parking lights or headlights on and I push on the dash anywhere with one finger, the dash lights go out and my temp. gauge and tach(if running) fail. Also, the high beam indicator comes on.
John had thought maybe a pinched wire but does anyone else have any thoughts?
How difficult is it to tear the dash of a 70 apart and be able to get it back together with everything working?

Thanks,

------------------
Scott Wolfe
Leck Kill, Pa.
70 Chevelle SS L34

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
It sounds like you have a ground problem. The dash harness has a black wire that connects to the parking brake assembly the other end of the wire connects to several other black wires. These wires are the grounds for (assuming you have the SS dash) the cig lighter, the head light switch, the glove box light, the WW switch, the radio and the metal back of the instrument cluster. You can either check to make sure that the cluster ground wire is connected, it will be under one of the screws on the back of the cluster, or connect a new wire to the cluster back and the parking brake assembly. If this doesn’t correct your problem you can remove the dash pad to gain access to the cluster back for trouble shooting. The dash pad is held in place by 6 screws, 4 along the along the top of the dash and 2 in the glove box. Post back if you need additional help.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Elree,
Yes, it is an SS dash and I wondered if you could tell me more precisely where I would find the cluster to check the ground? Can I get at it from under the dash or do I need to take the dash pad off? I did just replace the dash pad over winter so removing it won't be a problem.
The previous owner did replace the lighter and assembly with an oil pressure gauge so maybe something is amiss with the grounds like you said. Also the AM radio had been removed and I tried to reconnect it but can't seem to get it to work agoin so I'll need to check that out as well I guess.

Could you help me out with locating the cluster?

Thanks,

Scott

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
Scott

Sorry for the delay.

The cluster I referred to is the dash or instrument cluster. The dash lights, the fuel gauge, the clock, the signal indicating lights all ground to the metal back of the dash cluster. For all these items to function correctly you need to have a good ground wire for the metal back. It is grounded however when you push on the dash I think the ground that it has is interrupted. Try connecting a wire to the metal back of the dash cluster and to some place, like the park brake assembly, that is a good ground.

The 70 dash also has a ground that is a metal strap with a wire riveted to it. The wire has a ring that connects to the head light switch, the metal strap is/was attached to the wiper switch by one of the switch mounting screws, it is/was also attached to the metal dash support and one of the black ground wires is/was attached to it. This provides a second ground path for the dash cluster. I’m thinking this is the ground that is loosing contact and causing the lights to go out.

You may need to remove the dash pad to check the factory grounding or install the new ground.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Elree,

I'm going to remove the dash pad this weekend and check those grounds out. Do you think that having the lighter removed and not having that ground wire connected to anything(just hanging under the dash) would be any part of the problem also?
I'll let you know how I make out this weekend and thanks for your replies. I need all the help I can get!

Scott

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
Scott

"Do you think that having the lighter removed and not having that ground wire connected to anything(just hanging under the dash) would be any part of the problem also?"
This wire is probably not part of the problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts