Chevelles.com banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the purpose of the thin wires that sit under the foam and on top of the springs of the lower part of my bench seat (besides slicing and dicing my foam)? I thought maybe they were there to keep the foam from being shredded by the springs, but they cut very nicely too. Bottom line, they're rusty and many are broken, will it matter if I leave them out and cover the springs with lots of burlap? Thanks for any and all help. Be assured that your advice always goes a long way in helping me break something else on my cars

------------------
Mike
formerly known as gotapileof70Malibu
'70 Malibu
'70 Malibu convertible
see the ragtop at:
http://genxrodsandcustoms.8m.com/mike.html
North Vernon, IN

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Mike, those wire grids (think they're called flexolators) are used as an easy way for the trim plant to bridge the zig zag springs. Without any means of bridging, you would feel each individual spring when you sat on the seat cushion. You can use burlap or other heavy fabric, but place some hog rings in various locations so the fabric will tug on all the springs when one is pressed down. BTW, these wire grids are still available, try a local trim shop if you want to use them. The burlap should then be placed between the grid and the foam to keep the foam from getting "sliced and diced".
Rich

1 - 2 of 2 Posts