Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hahaha, i cant wait to hear Dave chime in on this one.........

....anyway, is anyone familiar with the purple hornies mufflers? from what i understand they bolt right to the collectors. Right now I've got 2 1/4 exhaust all the way out past the rear bumper, and I cant help but feel this is strangling my motor.... I assume the best option would be to upgrade it all with new pipe. (side question, what size pipe is best for a car putting out 417HP at the wheels?)

But how would the purple hornies work/sound in the meantime?

------------------
Eric Hunter
[email protected]

461 9.5:1CR Holley 750DP Weiand Stealth TH400 12bolt posi 2.73's or 3.08's havent figured it out yet

I spent 14 days not drinking, not smoking, and eating carefully....all I lost was two weeks.

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
I'm no expert, just passing on the info I've seen. There have been several articles saying that the "tailpipe" has no effect on backpressure if the proper muffler has been selected. It has something to do with the chamber capacity of the muffler and header pipe diameter. According to the article, no difference was seen with different sized tailpipes or no tailpipe for that matter. I'm sure that some of the vendors have this info on their websites.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Reminds me of those nice purple wire holders, right BBD?

Sorry Eric, don't know to what you are refering...

Bill C.

·
Registered
79 Posts
2 1/2 inch pipe is adaquate, if you choose a good muffler. Any of the free flowing turbo mufflers will work. Models from dynomax, flowmaster, etc, all are good quality and will flow well for you. If your thinking of replacing your pipe, I'd go with 2 1/2" pipe, and a set of flowmaster 3 chamber mufflers. Depending on how loud you want your car, you can run 2 chambers as well. You'll get good flow through them, but alot of noise.

As far as the purple hornies go, the closest I can compare them to is its like running open headers through glasspacks. They are similar in design to a glasspack, and they sound really similar, and are very loud. I had a set on a 283 powered '62 nova and the thing was pretty loud little car. It had the similar glasspack "rappingness" to it when you'd rev it up high.

If your gonna drive the car every day, get something a bit more tame .. unless you have the money to change your mind down the road. I've had 2 chamber mufflers on my 11:1 454 with 2 1/4" primary headers and 2 1/2" pipe exhaust for the last year and a half and i'm getting tired of it. I have to wear ear plugs on the freeway so my ears aren't ringing when I get to my destination. Really amusing on a weekend car, but kind of annoying on a daily.

Wes

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I swear im not making the name up.......look in jegs catalog.

Hmmm......i wonder how loud i can stand my car

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
Most of the purple hornies that I have seen are on Jeeps. These are the ones that usually hang right under the doors. They bolt right to headers and have a built in turn out. Makes for a lot of noise.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Eric,
A buddy of mine had a set of "Purple Hornies" on a 65 SS Chevelle many years ago. The car had a hi perf 302 small block in it and it ran real good. It also was very loud. Loud enough that the local cops didn't like it, so the "Hornies" had to go !
Rick Bonnell
Il. plate MR SS 396
Team Chevelle #1249

·
Premium Member
28,597 Posts
IMO,I wouldn't toss a complete 2.25" exhaust just to bolt on "Purple Hornies"...header mufflers are friggin' waay to loud.I don't know the specs on your motor,but your exhaust isn't restricting it that bad unless you have some 500 HP + mil.All my 455 powered Olds 442's had 2.25" dual exhausts and ran fine..in fact one of 'em ran 12.99's with mild 455 and no gear(2.76's)
and it had a 2.25" exhaust.If anything,get a nice 2.50" complete exhaust for it..BTW,your combo makes 417 RWHP?
That's ALOT!
Got a timeslip with that?

------------------
1970 Chevelle SS396/M21/4.10 My 70 SS396
Engine pic
1970 Chevelle SS454My 70 SS454
1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass convertible
1982 Oldsmobile Cutlass 350 Olds,TH350(daily driver)
Chris Corwel,TC Member 785

[This message has been edited by mr 4 speed (edited 06-06-2001).]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.