Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my predicament. The car

1972 Chevelle SS 454 true W VIN 1D36W
Baltimore 02B Fisher body plate VIN puts it first two days of march build date
Original Sequoia green, tan bucket interior and black vinyl roof
No documents at all

Now the car is Cranberry "resell red" with black stripes
ZL2 Cowl hood
Black interior but a lot of the plastic trim was painted over black from tan and showing through
M20/M21 4spd from 1967 (Unknown)
12bolt from unknown car since it is undercoated over
402 motor CE block from 1970. Was sold under the pretense it was a 454 warrant engine
An oddball Holley double pumper carb
AC Installed but not working
Appears to be an original dash, seat belt light installed but not wired, 5500 red line correct for a 454 car.
Accell ignition super coil

Not really period correct at all. Wrong motor, chrome valve covers and oil pan. Wrong hacked together cowl air cleaner unit. Few minor leaks. Two Camaro wheels two Chevelle wheels.

Body is in good shape decent restored job. Minor use of bondo in some hard to fill areas. Trunk has some odd brackets near the tails welded in. Body panel gap is OK few door ding chips looks like from a lift post. Once again decent job floors all replaced and undercoated. Rear stripes are too wide and wrong 1969 Chevelle badge used. Wrong steering wheel, radio doesn't work, blinkers don't work.

Basically car is sold to me as a $20,000 big block 4spd car. Owner was very straight forward, or so it seemed. Checked out behind the alternator and saw CE so I believed it was a replacement 454 from the dealer. Drove the car home and it really didn't feel like a 454 but overall it drove well. Finally got behind the engine and saw the casting it is really a 1970 replacement 396/402 block. I spoke to the seller and he agreed to take the car back minus $500 for the trouble :|

Does this sound like a 20k car? or should I keep looking? Take the $500 hit and wash my hands and keep looking for my dream 71-72 SS 454.

Any questions please ask and I will let you know.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I would take the $500 hit and send it back to the PO. From what you describe, there is a lot 'wrong' with the car. But how long is it going to take to find the right car. The engine to me is the biggest deal breaker. The other stuff can be fixed, but the right motor will take more resources than the car could be worth to you in the long run.

Today 50% of all marriages end in divorce, but 100% of car part deliveries end in happiness.

72 Chevelle Malibu 327/350 Restomod
57 Chevy Bel Air 283/Powerglide
96 Ford Ranger (aka Truck Norris)

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
^^^^x2

Thanks the $500 hit and return it. Chalk it up as a learning experience.

From your description, I think you will dodge a bullet by returning it. When I read your description I kept thinking it was built, by someone, to flip and hasn't started falling apart, yet.

Steve R

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^^^^x2

Thanks the $500 hit and return it. Chalk it up as a learning experience.

From your description, I think you will dodge a bullet by returning it. When I read your description I kept thinking it was built, by someone, to flip and hasn't started falling apart, yet.

Steve R

That's what I originally thought too. For the money it seemed like an amazing deal as I haven't found really anything big block, 4spd chevelle that didn't need a ton of work. This does need tlc no doubt. Appeared to be a mid 1990's restoration job. Ill get pictures up after work.

·
Registered
397 Posts
IMO, if the car was closer to what you really want it would be $35k. It's all about what you can live with or what you want to spend. It does sound like a $20k car to me, even with the problems. Could be a money pit, but...?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
IMO, if the car was closer to what you really want it would be $35k. It's all about what you can live with or what you want to spend. It does sound like a $20k car to me, even with the problems. Could be a money pit, but...?
If it was a 454 this wouldn't be a question I would keep it and fix it. Lots of little things wrong or need attention. The 402 the kicker. The guy I bought it from apparently was also duped into believing it was a 454 just not matching. The fact he is willing to take it back is good at least. The car does run and drive well no doubt about it.

It still is a big block at least.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The car could possible be worth $20,000.00 or even a lot more and then maybe not, it depends ...

Depends on what that's my question. :D

It seemed like a great deal with a 454 even without the M22 tranny. Little details I can live with but the 402 compared to a 454 is what is killing me.

What should I look into more? Or take photos of for you guys?

·
Registered
397 Posts
To me...the quality of the body and paint is key. An engine can be swapped out in an afternoon, but body and paint can be a killer. I would look very closely for seams and welds where panels were replaced. I'd start in the trunk and work forward under the car, peel up carpet if possible. I have a mild 402 in my '67 M21 and love it, of course my car is built to emulate an SS396 so it makes sense. I've been in your shoes before, bought a car and it was not what it seemed. In that case I bailed, took a small loss and moved on to one that was better to start with. Best of luck.

·
Registered
1971 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu
7,417 Posts
You have already questioned the stripes on the car and I had told you that you would probably nit pick other things too. Since you bought the car your finding even more things that aren't right or that you feel you got screwed over on. If you can't live with these things take the loss of the $500 and look for something else. But whatever you do make sure you check the car out before you buy it. Like I told you I bought my car blind only went by pictures and trusting the dealer that he was telling me the truth. I wasn't looking for a SS or matching number car just something clean with a BB and 4 speed in it. As soon as I got the car looked underneath it I new it was not a frame off. I was lied to and yes it pissed me off but I had nobody to blame but myself. I still saw a lot of potential in the car and it already had a lot of the right stuff done to it. I went through the whole car did my thing to it and made it into exactly what I wanted it to be without worrying about the matching number thing. It's your decision live with it or take the $500 loss.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I guess ask yourself - are you looking for a numbers matching 72 SS? Are you looking for a non-numbers matching 72 SS, but one that looks all stock? Are you looking for a 72 SS and don't care if it looks stock or not?

The one you have in your hands is a real 72 SS, non-numbers matching, that doesn't look stock. If it had a 454, and you kept it, would you be moving to make it all back to stock? If not, you may have a good starting point in your hands already to have a real SS but make it what you want. But, if you want to make it back to stock, how much would it take?

But, if you are looking for starting with a numbers matching car - this ain't it.

Also, the body/paint comes into play. If it's good and you can live with the minor imperfections, then you are set. But, if you are finding all kinds of issues with it, you may want to take it back...

No one can really answer what you want but you.

In this area of the country, what you paid is in the ballpark for what you actually got and what is being asked on a routine basis around here, except it was mis-represented as a 454 when it was a 402. Either the seller knew and pulled a fast one or the seller was clueless and didn't confirm what he was selling (but you could have checked before you bought - not being harsh, just the fact - I've been snookered before when I didn't do full due diligence too - live 'n learn.)

Heck, complete roller basket cases in this area are being sold for $5K and up (not asked - sold! - asking prices are even higher in many cases.) It's getting silly...

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I guess ask yourself - are you looking for a numbers matching 72 SS? Are you looking for a non-numbers matching 72 SS, but one that looks all stock? Are you looking for a 72 SS and don't care if it looks stock or not?

The one you have in your hands is a real 72 SS, non-numbers matching, that doesn't look stock. If it had a 454, and you kept it, would you be moving to make it all back to stock? If not, you may have a good starting point in your hands already to have a real SS but make it what you want. But, if you want to make it back to stock, how much would it take?

But, if you are looking for starting with a numbers matching car - this ain't it.

Also, the body/paint comes into play. If it's good and you can live with the minor imperfections, then you are set. But, if you are finding all kinds of issues with it, you may want to take it back...

No one can really answer what you want but you.

In this area of the country, what you paid is in the ballpark for what you actually got and what is being asked on a routine basis around here, except it was mis-represented as a 454 when it was a 402. Either the seller knew and pulled a fast one or the seller was clueless and didn't confirm what he was selling (but you could have checked before you bought - not being harsh, just the fact - I've been snookered before when I didn't do full due diligence too - live 'n learn.)

Heck, complete roller basket cases in this area are being sold for $5K and up (not asked - sold! - asking prices are even higher in many cases.) It's getting silly...

Here are the photos please be harsh.

What I want is a stock looking real SS that drives awesome to go to cruise nights and Sunday drives around Rhode Island. big block and 4spd are the Musts.

I don't care if it's numbers matching or original color interior.

Check out the body work see what you think. I can give it back for $500 loss or keep it for my $20,000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 71 Posts