Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to rebuild my Aeromotive regulator. Once done. I reinstalled and have to get gas into the dry carb. I have fuel now up past the regulator and in the lines at the bowl, but none in the bowl. Will working the pump cam pump fuel enough to fill up the bowl?

·
Premium Member
12,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, will do.

I would think that cranking the engine would bring fuel up to the bowl.

Apparently not. It only gets it to the bowl.

How much cranking is need if so?

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
You can crank away and fill a dry carb, but it takes a little while. Probably under a minute, but it feels like forever when you're cranking away. Pouring some gas into the bowls usually allows for an almost immediate startup. Do both primaries and secondaries. It's worked well for me.

-Dave

Reactions: MikeN and rp930

·
Premium Member
12,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok will do.

Im worried that I have something wrong with this new regulator. My pressure gauge on it says 0 psi as I crank. However, there is fuel past there.

Im worried this is becoming harder than it really is, unless I have missed something.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I don't think I'd expect to see pressure during cranking on an empty/not-full carb.

If you fill up the bowls through the vent, a couple pumps of the throttle and your timing is pretty close, you'll get this:

Reactions: MikeN

·
Registered
422 Posts
You can spray brake clean into the carb to get the engine to fire which will run the pump much faster than during cranking. A few seconds of running off of brake clean and your float bowls will be primed and the carb will start running off the fuel.

·
Registered
11,767 Posts
Pressure is only developed when gas presses against something. If there is no resistance such as an empty bowl it’ll read zero.

Reactions: 2/75NastyNewbs

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
All above correct. Until the float closes the needle against the seat there is no pressure. Remove sight plug and fill through vent tube until fuel flows out the sight plug hole. I use one of those old ketchup/mustard squeeze bottles. Easy to stop when you want it to.

·
Premium Member
12,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay,lets back up here. Still experiencing issues after the engine ran with the bowls full until they ran dry. I did this twice. The question now is why is the bowls running dry? I cracked the fitting at the carb bowl, it had fuel. I unscrewed it all the way to drain what was there and there was very little gas. If I traced the line back to the regulator and crack the fitting or inlet fitting on the regulator there is fuel there. If I back track to the fuel pump, Holley 130 mechanical, and crack the fitting there, there is fuel there.

Im at a lost right now why this regulator, which I put a kit in, is throwing a wrench into my plans.

What am I missing here.

Here is my fuel pump and regulator.

Holley 12-327-13 130+ GPH Mechanical Fuel Pump

SS-Series ORB-06 Carburetor Regulator – Aeromotive, Inc (aeromotiveinc.com)

·
Premium Member
12,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Sounds like something is a miss with the regulator. I would disconnect the line to the carb and put it in a bucket and have someone crank the engine over. Observe fuel flow and go from there.
I realize that. I just put a kit in the regulator. It has all brand new parts in there.

I cant really do what you said.

I have a one -8 line running from the fuel pump up to the bottom of the regulator and then two -6 lines running from the regulator to the carb.

There is no way to take the regulator out of the equation.

The -8 line from the fuel pump gushes fuel when you crank the engine. Im not sure how much poundage that 130 fuel pump puts out , but it does.

Wait, maybe I mis understood what you said.

·
Registered
1964 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu 4 door
2,520 Posts
For future times, this is a extreme move, but, you could pull the spark plugs, starter will spin the motor over with a higher rpm, less battery drain, less starter heat generated. Also means no manifold vacuum so you wouldn't be dumping fuel down the intake.

Reactions: Aaron

·
Premium Member
1971 Chevelle. Carb’d 6.0 LS Th350 3.90 12 Bolt. 1972 Greenbrier Wagon 489, 700r4 3,73 12 bolt
3,582 Posts
Is the regulator something new to the system?

if so, did you use Aeromotive fittings?

·
Registered
740 Posts
Why do you even need the regulator?

·
Super Moderator
2,263 Posts
Disconnect one of the -6 lines from the carb and connect a piece of garden hose over it and run to a bucket or jug. Crank or start for 10 seconds and see if you can get a decent amount of fuel in the jug.

It is probably a problem with your regulator. Is is adjusted all the way closed? try turning the adjustment screw more open. My guess is you have it adjusted all the way closed or you assembled it incorrectly and forced it shut.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts