Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
When I bought my 70 SS, the previous owner had already taken the body off the frame and blasted and painted the frame of my car. By the time I bought it, the car had been sitting outside for a few years (lost interest) and the paint was starting to get a little thin and rust was showing through. After a winter of garage storage, the frame is starting to look pretty crappy, so I want to pull the frame off to do it right. There are no bumpers, no lights, no interior on the car now, but it does run and drive so I would have to pull out the motor and tranny to pull the tub off the frame. What is the best way to get the body lifted up enough to roll the frame out from under it? And once the frame is out and disassembled, what is the best/most durable finish? Powder-coating or POR15/Chassis Black? Any ideas on costs of sandblasting or chemical dipping? TIA--Tony

·
Registered
19 Posts
Tony,

Check out my webpage. I've got some pictures and descriptions of how I did the same thing on my '72. Feel free to email me directly if you have any additional questions.

www.athenet.net/~chevelle

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Jeff's page is a wonderful place to start! I'm one step ahead of you right now! Just looking for a place to blast this chassis!
Good luck!
Brian

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BigT,
I pulled the body off the frame on my 79 Malibu (same process). What I did was place a 4x4 under the floor pan just behind the firewall. Jack up 6" and rest the front of the body on jackstands under the pinchwelds. Jack the back up (with the same 4x4) under the crossbracing under the back seat. Continue the jacking process front to rear until the body is high enough for the frame to roll out. If the body is gutted (no glass either), the 4x4 should not bend the floor pans. There is a few photos of this process on my web page. http://www.qis.net/~tgeisler.

Hope this helps
Todd Geisler
Malibu Muscle

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.