Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I going out Friday to pull a tilt column from a 72 Elcamino. Other than using the procedure in my 70 Chevelle service manual, anyone got any tips?

I do plan on pulling the bench seat for more room.

------------------
DG
Springfield, Ohio
70 Chevelle Malibu

www.wright.edu/~adams.6/chevy.htm
TEAM Chevelle Member #0086
Genx member (Founder 4 Ohio)

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
If it's warm out, watch for wasps.Other than that, it's pretty straight forward.Use the tilt to make it a little easier, the shaft is long, so if you can loosen the bolt under the master cylinder and get it to collapse, it's easier getting it through the door.Nothing major though, should have it out in 15-20 minutes.Don't forget to unplug the harness.

------------------
' 72 Malibu project ACES # 1282 Team Member # 427
' 70 C-10 Pickup

·
Registered
341 Posts
IMHO: I suggest that you disconnect the steering shaft from the column before you loosen the column..reason: It's easier to do with the column in a still position instead of having it moving all around while trying to seperate the two.

------------------
Team Chevelle Gold #33
ACES Member #02913
Chevelle Club of Michigan
Livonia, Michigan / USA
Rode shotgun in the only Z16 convertible made.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
UPDATE
Okay, I got the column out pretty easy.....after I realized that the coupler bolt on the steering shaft must be completely removed before it will let the splined shaft slide out.

So, I have a nice and tight tilt column to go in place of the non-tilt column in my Malibu. Just gotta paint it dark green.

I also got a near perfect black stereo dash pad, and the 2 metal pilliar pieces that run from the dash to the top of the windshield. Both are for sale, so check out my home page or email me.

I even dropped the dash (a first for me) and took the speedo/clock cluster. The clock works, and the speedo lens is unblemished!

I was a week late on the 12 bolt he sold for $100. He is keeping the disc setup, the air cond. compressor and the original engine/tranny. I think another guy gets the rest of the car for $100 bucks. The car is severly rusted out, but has factory air a decent flat hood, hinges, right inner, and lotsa minor trim, dash plastic and glass.

Oh well, if some of these cars gotta die, better to let 'em feed the need than just fade away.

------------------
DG
Springfield, Ohio
70 Chevelle Malibu

www.wright.edu/~adams.6/chevy.htm
TEAM Chevelle Member #0086
Genx member (Founder 4 Ohio)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.