Chevelles.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1966 SS396 5spd Chevelle
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to pull the stock 396 and install a new 454 on a 66 chevelle. The 396 has an edelbrock proflo xt efi intake so i cant use a 4bolt carb style lift plate. The car has a tremec tk600 trans with mechanical zbar clutch linkage.
Anyone have advice or input on ;
1. remove just engine or should i pull both eng/trans to make eng swap and trans bolt up easier since its out of the car?
2. Whats the best mounting spots to pull eng and or trans. (Has stock cast iron heads and stock exh manifolds.)
Thanks!
Ward

·
Premium Member
2,791 Posts
I've had to do this more times than I'd like in recent years. I drop the trans out first from underneath then use a chain diagonally across the heads. One way is 3/8, the other is 7/16. I've gone back in both ways, with or without trans. It's easier to put in without, but a TKO is quite a bit heavier and more awkward than a Muncie to install from underneath.

Devin

·
Premium Member
5,978 Posts
Pull the trans but leave the bellhousing on the engine. Remove the distributor. unbolt the headers if you have them and leave them in the car before the reinstall.

Install the bellhousing on the 454 and make sure you align it before you reinstall the engine. Install without a distributor.

·
Registered
163 Posts

This is what I just used to install a 454 and Doug Nash 5 speed in my 68 El Camino. I'll bet the DN is heavier than the tremec. It's nice to be able to change the angle of the dangle without setting the engine down and changing the lift point.

·
Premium Member
6,924 Posts
My 5' tall wife & I put the 454 & T400 bolted together in our 68 9 yrs. ago with a chain from pass side rear head to drv. side front head, 4 yrs. ago body/mech. shop pulled and re-installed with chain the same way, a month or so ago same body/mech. shop we pulled 454 alone to install the 489 and had a heck of a time clearing the Summit/Moroso oil pan and came close to unbolting the trans but finally got it, just something to think about, also I'm getting a little to old for rolling around on my back but shop has a lift :)

·
Registered
163 Posts
My 5' tall wife & I put the 454 & T400 bolted together in our 68 9 yrs. ago with a chain from pass side rear head to drv. side front head, 4 yrs. ago body/mech. shop pulled and re-installed with chain the same way, a month or so ago same body/mech. shop we pulled 454 alone to install the 489 and had a heck of a time clearing the Summit/Moroso oil pan and came close to unbolting the trans but finally got it, just something to think about, also I'm getting a little to old for rolling around on my back but shop has a lift :)
The pan! I have a modified deep truck pan. I don't think there would be any way to sneak that past the crossmember while lining up the transmission. Twenty years ago I probably could have bench pressed the DN but it was a lot easier this way. With the rear on blocks and the front on jack stands I had plenty of clearance to tilt the trans as far as I needed and the tool made it easy to level out to clear the pan past the crossmember and line up the motor mounts. Worth every penny.

·
Registered
8,633 Posts
oil pan is a big concern;
i cannot pull engine and trans together due to this...

how was yours installed in the car originally??
bolted together or separate??
i know that mine would not allow the bellhousing to remain bolted for extraction or insertion :(

·
Registered
1966 SS396 5spd Chevelle
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oil pan is a big concern;
i cannot pull engine and trans together due to this...

how was yours installed in the car originally??
bolted together or separate??
i know that mine would not allow the bellhousing to remain bolted for extraction or insertion :(
The motor/trans was put into the rolling chassis, then the body was dropped onto the chassis. That lift level seems like money(40$) well spent.

·
Premium Member
6,924 Posts
Also like Al mentioned about leaving the headers in, the headers wont go in with the engine on the mounts, 68 needs drv. side up a few inches but I'm not sure about 66-67

1 - 9 of 9 Posts