Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am switching form a SBC to BBC. Will my pulleys from my SBC work? Power steering, water pump, alternator. I have after market brackets for them as well but I'm sure if those are going to be able to transfer over. Just looking at some items where I could possibly save some $$$.

·
Registered
13,036 Posts
You'll need a different lower crank pulley. Everything else will work.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I haven't decided. I used a long pump on my SBC. I'm guessing I will use a long pump on the bbc as well. It depends how much room I have after the motor is in. I keep reading different stories about the frame mounts and having to change them. Some say the 66 frame mounts are the same for SBC and BBC. Other say it will cause the motor to sit to far forward or back. I won't know until I get it in I guess

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Dear David, I had made several posts yesterday regarding Big Bob installing a 454 motor into a 1967 Chevelle where he was encountering some problems. You need to make sure that you have the correct height motor mount and the correct thickness motor mount for your Chevelle. My post centered on a 1966-67 Chevelle which should hold true for the 68-72 Chevelles. A too thick motor mount (or too high) is when the distance between side of motor mount holes and the thickness of the rubber and metal plate which bolts directly to your side of your 454 motor. A higher / thicker motor mount will raise upward the height of your engine and cause your 17” or 18” fan blades to come in contact with the upper part of your stock plastic fan shroud and raise the air cleaner height which will cause the hood not to close.

Second, for most Chevelles (66-67) the correct inside motor mount spacing is 2 5/8 inch where the motor mount fits into / over your the frame mount. This 2 5/8” saddle spacing is measured between the 2 side motor mount holes where the long bolt goes through the frame mount and this 2 5/8” spacing fits over both of your frame mounts. I have found that some replacement mounts are 3” and some are less than 2 5/8” inches.

If you are not concerned with the motor mount locking tabs, see photos of 1969 corvette 350 / 427 motor mounts below (local auto parts store) will give you the correct thickness that you need to install your motor and give you satisfactory results except for situations where you beat your car causing the motor mount rubber to separate. Check for the 2 5/8” spacing before purchasing your new mounts.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Third, you need to make sure that you have the correct type reproduction frame mounts for your Chevelle 396-454. A Small Block Frame bracket will not fit a Big Block Engine on a 1966-67 Chevelle. I have attached hereto a photo of a 66-67 Big Block Frame Bracket. Regardless of which Chevelle year that you have, I would highly recommend that you properly align the 396-454 frame mounts to the frame because because their is usually some play between the three holes in the frame mount and the three holes in the frame which usually causes the frame mounts to be out of alignment with the motor mounts which in turn makes it very difficult to install your motor. By placing two 3/8” x 36” long threaded rods inserted (all nuts tightened up) in both of the frame holes with the long threaded part of both threaded rods sticking outward and facing the firewall, this will give you visual a picture of your frame bracket alignment. If both threaded rods do not appear to be parallel, then just loosen up the three frame mount bolts and adjust them until you obtain the best parallel spacing/ position between both of the threaded rods. Remove the threaded rods and then attach the correct motor mounts to your 396-454 engine in your Chevelle.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,036 Posts
On a 66 you about have to go with the short water pump, so you'll need BBC crank, water pump and PS pulleys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts