Team Chevelle banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK Team Members. Who actually sells these (They have the metal top support) for a '69 Elke?

OPG, Year One, Ground Up, Muscle Factory, The Paddock, Danchuk, True Connections, all said "NO" today.

Hinshaw's catalog shows them, but will they have them tomorrow?

We did a "Full Search" on this subject today, and still didn't see the actual suppliers who sell these in any of the postings.

Chime in if you can.

------------------
Team Members Forever #341

Richard, Judy, MAXX2

'69 Elke (Frame Off); GM HO 350/330-Mildly Ported Vortec Heads-Manley Severe Duty SS 2.02/1.60 Valves, Comp Cams Full Roller Package (Magnum)-Custom Grind CS 3315/3316 HR112-.510/.520 Lift, Edelbrock Air-Gap W/750 Performer Manual Choke-Performer 100 HP NOS, March Pulleys, 4L60 (Non Computer) W/Lokar Shifter, 12 Bolt Posi.

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,651 Posts
Why not call PUI and ask who sells them? I believe they're located in Louisville, KY.

------------------
von '69 300 Dlx SS TC #15 ACES #1575
My '69 SS

·
Premium Member
3,400 Posts
Don't know if they're "Gold" or not, but the PUI panels I got from Ground Up have a formed metal backing plate at the top, where the panel rolls outboard to meet the door glass. Can't say as I'm totally happy with these panels, as they remind me of a pair of "high water" pants - too short when they're installed. The trim screws at the bottom are no more than 1/8" from the bottom of the panel if you use the original screw holes in your door frame
Other than that, they look fine.

------------------
Bill Pritchard
69 SS396 Convertible
"Life is short; eat dessert first." - Ogden Nash
My low tech web page

·
Premium Member
7,683 Posts
It was 2 years ago- but my 69 door panels from National Parts Depot had the metal top rail- the PUI MFG sticker was on the back of the door panels.

The Panels I got looked great, and fit great- except at the top corners where the metal rail meets the window glass rail&the vent window. I had to do some bending on the door panel rail to get it to fit on properly at those 2 points. It would not drop into place right until i did. After it was in place- you'd never know i had to tweak it.
------------------
Ben Rambow
1970 El Camino SS
1968 Olds Delmont 88 Convertible (For Sale)
The El Camino Classics Club
"Whats the matter with the car I'm Driving? Can't ya tell that its out of style..."

[This message has been edited by AHSOM70 (edited 06-14-2002).]

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
The PUI door panels that were on the '70 Chevelle I had at CB02 were just received from Cars Inc. 800-521-2194 weeks before the show. I specifically ordered them without the top plate because at that time, only plastic was available. Now I understand the medal tops are on them.

Trust me, they are about as close to original as $$ can buy and the only fit problem I had was in the clips that attach to the rear. They needed major massaging to get them to attach correctly.

------------------
ACES #5032
TC #1074

·
Premium Member
3,400 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rick_Nelson:
...the only fit problem I had was in the clips that attach to the rear. They needed major massaging to get them to attach correctly.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I assume you mean that it was the door panel that needed massaging, not the clips. If so, I would wholeheartedly agree with that. It was unnecessarily difficult to cut out the slots for the clips, then have to trim back the overlapped vinyl material so that the clips could move around with some ease. With as many of these panels as this company (PUI) produces, they should certainly know how to do better

------------------
Bill Pritchard
69 SS396 Convertible
"Life is short; eat dessert first." - Ogden Nash
My low tech web page

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
Bill, sorry, that's exactly what I meant. They took the trouble to cut the oblong hole but not one lined up correctly with the hole in the door. Obviously, they had a donor door panel to use as a template to design their panel so one would conclude they would use the same hole locations that were punched. I would be willing to bet I spent 3 hours combined fitting the panels. Results were great but it was an undue cost to the customer. I must say again that the panel itself is beautiful!

------------------
ACES #5032
TC #1074

[This message has been edited by Rick_Nelson (edited 06-14-2002).]

·
Premium Member
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We'll call PUI Monday AM, and get their suggestions on who to purchase them thru.

By the way, when we called Year One directly, they stated that they had never heard of "Gold Edition", however, we stated to them that they had showed up in their website listings.

Guess what they told us!? "We don't have anything to do with the website"!

Really!? That's what the guy stated to us!

Seems rather "Strange/Funny" OR "WHAT"!?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts