Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I purchased a set of early 60's A body bucket seats from ebay, see below photo of actual seats (maybe from a GTO originally?). From what I read on this forum, all early GM A-body bucket seat frames are the same. Is this true?

I also bought brand new PUI bucket seat covers for a 1965 Chevelle, however the covers do not fit. They are about 2" short at the bottom of the frame, and 2" too narrow for the backrest. We have tried everything to stretch them enough to fit but they just won't fit. So I took them to my local auto upholstery shop and they told me the same thing...they do not fit.

My question is, is there a difference between 65 hardtop coupe (which I have) and 65 convertible bucket seats? If so, maybe I got a set of covers for a convertible by mistake? If they are both the same, then I am unsure why they do not fit. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
6,829 Posts
Those may be Corvair seats. I am pretty sure that they are. I had a set of Corvair seats a couple of years ago. I believe that those are the same covers that my seats had. Hard top and convertible seats are exactly the same. There is no difference.

·
Premium Member
17,566 Posts
Hi guys, I purchased a set of early 60's A body bucket seats from ebay, see below photo of actual seats (maybe from a GTO originally?). From what I read on this forum, all early GM A-body bucket seat frames are the same. Is this true?

I also bought brand new PUI bucket seat covers for a 1965 Chevelle, however the covers do not fit. They are about 2" short at the bottom of the frame, and 2" too narrow for the backrest. We have tried everything to stretch them enough to fit but they just won't fit. So I took them to my local auto upholstery shop and they told me the same thing...they do not fit.

My question is, is there a difference between 65 hardtop coupe (which I have) and 65 convertible bucket seats? If so, maybe I got a set of covers for a convertible by mistake? If they are both the same, then I am unsure why they do not fit. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance!
Convertible and Hardtop (and IIRC 64 & 65) will use the same front seats...

Are you sure they are "A-body" seats? I can't view your photos right now. Other models used similar seats, so perhaps they are out of a larger, full-size car?... Something like a Grand Prix, etc? I was thinking Corvair or pre-64 Tempest, etc too. but I am thinking those would be smaller than the "Chevelle" seats...

·
Premium Member
4,507 Posts
My brother had the same issue with 65 bucket seat covers from PUI. Turned out he had Corvair seat frames, and the covers are too small.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Those may be Corvair seats. I am pretty sure that they are. I had a set of Corvair seats a couple of years ago. I believe that those are the same covers that my seats had. Hard top and convertible seats are exactly the same. There is no difference.

I agree, look like Corvair seats to me as well.

Richard

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
damn it! well thank you all, looks like I will be searching for another set of frames then. Anyone want to buy some corvair frames?? :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I found a set of 1965 Pontiac Lemans bucket seats locally...will these frames work for my application?

·
Premium Member
12,724 Posts
You can tell if they are corvair seats (65 and earlier) if when you fold the seats forward they don't fold straight forward they fold towards the middle. I think 65 and earlier corvair seats do that. I had a set of 66 corvair seats and that are identical to 64 and 65 chevelle seats. I did a thread on them 3 or 4 years ago. Anyway those don't look like 66 corvair.

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
On Corvair seats: there is also a difference in width depending on the body style of the Corvair. 2-door Corvairs use the same bucket seat frames as A-body cars, respective to the year. 4-door Corvair bucket seats are 2" wider (24" across the bottom seat spring, without padding/foam/upholstery).

Not sure, but I don't think Corvair even had a front BENCH seat.

The OP likely has bucket seats out of a 4-door Corvair.

·
Premium Member
12,724 Posts
I believe the Corvair was available with a bench seat. One quick way to tell the wider Corvair seat from the one that is the same as an A body seat is look at the front support Springs. The wider seat has 5 Springs across the front and the narrower has 4. One thing I am wondering. Why would a four door Corvair have folding front Seats? Thought all 4 door cars had fixed front seats.

·
Premium Member
6,829 Posts
IIRC It is the big car seats that fold on an angle when fold them forward. Big car being an Impala, Caprice, Bonneville and so on. Pretty sure all the different Corvair seats that I have had, all folded straight forward.

·
Premium Member
12,724 Posts
Dan, I can't say as the Corvair seats that I had folded forward as well. I just recall during the process of trying to figure out if the 66 Corvair seats that I had were the same as A body that some people reported that the Corvair seats they had folded (slightly) towards the middle. I did some extensive research on the 66 seats I had and the only difference I could find was the 66 seat tracks were 3/4 inch shorter than A Body tracks although they looked just like A body tracks. Aside from that they were identical to 64/65 Chevelle seats.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
On Corvair seats: there is also a difference in width depending on the body style of the Corvair. 2-door Corvairs use the same bucket seat frames as A-body cars, respective to the year. 4-door Corvair bucket seats are 2" wider (24" across the bottom seat spring, without padding/foam/upholstery).

Not sure, but I don't think Corvair even had a front BENCH seat.

The OP likely has bucket seats out of a 4-door Corvair.
This is great info, thanks! I picked up a nice pair of 1965 Lemans buckets yesterday, so I should be all set now...but it's good to know the details on these corvair seats so I can describe them properly when I put them up for sale. Don't want someone else getting fooled like I did...

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
You can tell if they are corvair seats (65 and earlier) if when you fold the seats forward they don't fold straight forward they fold towards the middle. I think 65 and earlier corvair seats do that. I had a set of 66 corvair seats and that are identical to 64 and 65 chevelle seats. I did a thread on them 3 or 4 years ago. Anyway those don't look like 66 corvair.
'65 Corvair seats were like '66, in that they were narrower and folded straight forward. '64 and earlier are the ones that don't match.

·
Premium Member
12,724 Posts
'65 Corvair seats were like '66, in that they were narrower and folded straight forward. '64 and earlier are the ones that don't match.
Thanks for correcting that. Wouldn't want someone to pass up a set of 65 Seats because of something I posted. I only had the one set and that was maybe 4 years ago so my recall isn't that fresh. If one isn't sure on what year they have or are looking at a good way to find out is to Google images the year and car model seat. If one is shown the same example (upholstery pattern) several times chances are that it is correct.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts