Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 350 in a van that smokes a lot when I cold start it but very little when it warms up. Is there any additive that will help?

------------------
Ray{Surrey BC CANADA}
65 chevelle 2dr hdt 6cyl, 65 MalibuSS 327, 65 MalibuSS 454, 64 El Camino 350, 65 El Camino 327, 78 El Camino 305, 79 El CaminoSS 305
#241 gold
Canadian Classics Chevelles and Beaumonts #325
BC Chevelle Club #121
Aces #3029
www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Lane/7755

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very Funny! The engine is in a van for sale and it does'nt smoke that bad but to pull the heads is not a normal task in this van so I thought there might be an oil additive that we can add to it but I guess not.

------------------
Ray{Surrey BC Canada}
65 chevelle 2dr hdt 6cyl, 65 MalibuSS 327, 65 MalibuSS 454, 64 El Camino 350, 65 El Camino 327, 78 El Camino 305, 79 El CaminoSS 305
#241 gold
BC Chevelle Club #121
Aces #3029

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to come across as a smart @ss. But, That is probably what it really needs. Or to have the block honed and new rings( I know you don't wanna do that=$$ and labor)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hey 65,
Joe is probably right. The seals used on the valves to keep oil out of the combustion chamber get old and brittle and shrink or even fall off. After you shut down the engine oil seeps down the valve stems into the combustion chamber and turns into a blue haze when you first fire up. Not uncommon. The only cure is to replace the valve seals and in as van I'm sure that's a major pain. mgg

·
Premium Member
13,692 Posts
an additive
....thats how I run 11's in my chevelle,,,I go to the parts store and buy the 11 second additive and add to the tank..an additive....lol...sorry, but had to rub it in

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
65ss, You don't have to pull the heads to replace the valve stems seals. You will need an air compressor,the threaded piece for the spark plug hole and a hose w/a quick connector, one of those screw down valve spring compressors,a small magnet,the seals,a small hammer and the valve cover gaskets. Oh yeah, a lot of patience and some swear words. Make sure you clean out the oil returns at the rear of the heads. If you buy the van you can do this job in a weekend. It could be too worn for this to fix it. If it is equipped w/ a/c you have to take the comp loose.

------------------
Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017

·
Registered
425 Posts
If you can live with the Blue Buff on startup, don't worry about it. Our GMC Safari does this. It doesn't use a drop of oil on trips or after start up. I won't let the wife park it in the garage any more though...
I took it to the dealer shortly after it started to puff a little. They said if I can live with the buff it is actually good for the engine to have the oil in there on start up. They said it will help the engine to live longer. There word, not mine. It has 135K miles on it and still running great.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey thanks for all your comments and suggestions but I don't like any smoke at all from my drivers so I've decided to pull the 350 and have it rebuilt with a few extras thrown in.Even though it's in a 79 chevy shorty van it won't be that bad cause I've got help that has done it before and I know that will be a big time saver.Thanks again for the help.

------------------
Ray{Surrey BC Canada}
#241 gold
BC Chevelle Club #121
Aces #3029

[This message has been edited by 65ss (edited 09-30-99).]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.