good deals can be found on Ebay, but what
I cant figure out is how to proxy bid, All I
can find on ebay is a description of what
proxy bidding is, not how to do it??
any help is apreciated.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
All you do is enter the highest you want to pay; the rest is automatic. I had the same confusion when I first got involved also

------------------
1967 El Camino bought new. 325/396 TH400 posi metallic drums air p/s. 150k+ original

·
Gold Founding Member
63,360 Posts
I think it goes like this, you place the highest bid that you would give for the item.
Ebay will only raise the current bid by one increment (increment stated on the description page) over the current bid , so you will be high bidder by that amount.

Lets say you bid 100.00 on an item with a current high bid of 25.00 and bid increments set at 5.00.
you then will be high bidder with a bid of 30.00 and if not out bid you will get the item for 30.00 not the 100.00 that you bid.

your 100.00 bid is hidden from others.

Every time someone bids higher than your current bid that is shown, your bid will automatically be increased 5.00 above that person's bid.

Until someone out bids you by 5.00 (105.00)
then you have to re-bid higher.

clear as mud ?

------------------
Dean Call
Team Gold member #3
A.C.E.S. # 00235
N.C.O.A. # 4350
M.A.C.C. # 001
macc.chevelles.net

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Dean has the right idea, but here are a few tips I picked up proxy bidding.

I will place a minimum bid on an item when it is first posted (knowing I will be outbid). This lets you track the price even if you are outbid, if you check out your myebay page. This page will show you items you currently are bidding on. Instead of searching thru the ads.

Then when the item is a day or two from expiring, make as many minimum bids as you need to just win the bid. If you still want it......

Bid again with the maximum amount you are willing to pay. You can skip the previous step, but you may get in a proxy bid with 1 or more people, and just barely win the current bid. I like to know how much someone else is willing to go before I place a proxy bid.

So, then watch myebay to see if anyone out bids you. But a common practice is to snipe or place a bid at the last minute to win the bid. Might have to stay up for a few hours to get the item. Myebay page is updated quicker than the email notice that is emailed when you outbid.

The biggest key is using your myebay page to track an item you are bidding on.

Oh, sometimes you can recognize other Team Chevellers. In the past I have sent them email to say hello, and see how interested they are. Most times they let you know.

Good luck. My ebay username is dg98adams by the way.

On second thought...ignore the above post.....especially if you see I'm bidding on the item.

------------------
DG
Springfield, Ohio
70 Chevelle Malibu

www.wright.edu/~adams.6/chevy.htm
TEAM Chevelle Member #0086
Genx member (Founder 4 Ohio)

[This message has been edited by DG (edited 11-18-99).]

[This message has been edited by DG (edited 11-18-99).]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.