Team Chevelle banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have to say tonight was a special night. My Son ordered his first speed parts from Summit tonight and paid with his own money. He owns a 88 T'bird with a 5.0 (sorry for the "f" word, it was a really good deal) We are going to turn his wimpy 160 hp into a HO. We bought a lot of the HO stuff from eBay, E7 heads, HO cam, injectors, computer and upper intake. Next week we will pull it apart and install all the goodies. He just ordered a new timing chain set and complete gasket set. I don't know who had the bigger smile, me or him. Just had to share this special time with my extended family.

Bill

·
Registered
311 Posts
my dad was pretty proud of me when i brought home a 327 small block, first V8 performance build. hope to have the engine in the car soon. most of all, HAVE FUN!!!!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
No looking back now!!!! Goodluck :) :) :)

·
Premium Member
27,555 Posts
I remember when I was 16, I had to teach my Dad how to drive a 4 speed! Everything he had previously driven was a column shift.
Enjoy the time together wrenching! :cool:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Mrbill,
Man that is cool. Must be a good feeling to be able to help with your son's project. Good to see the "next generation" of family picking and turning a wrench.
Just remember the focus isn't the end goal, but the journey.
Scott

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for everyones replys, I forgot to tell you when he called Summit and gave his name, the person asked if this was Bill or Elaine. His reply was"they are my parents" Our last name is Rossomano, so it's not too common. LOL

·
Registered
15,842 Posts
That's cool, my Dad never got into helping me go faster, but was always willing to help make the car look better or be safer... I guess he knew how dumb I was, and that I would have probably killed myself with a fast car, considering all the stupid stunts I pulled with a slow one. :D

·
Premium Member
3,695 Posts
Well, I have to say tonight was a special night. My Son ordered his first speed parts from Summit tonight and paid with his own money. He owns a 88 T'bird with a 5.0 (sorry for the "f" word, it was a really good deal) We are going to turn his wimpy 160 hp into a HO. We bought a lot of the HO stuff from eBay, E7 heads, HO cam, injectors, computer and upper intake. Next week we will pull it apart and install all the goodies. He just ordered a new timing chain set and complete gasket set. I don't know who had the bigger smile, me or him. Just had to share this special time with my extended family.

Bill
:thumbsup: "and paid with his own money" That is the part we still don't have down yet!

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Bill,
Remember the HO cam has the 351 firing order. Put that one back in your head so you can remember. It'll come in handy at 2am when you're tring to figure out the "rough idle".

In about six months you'll be "upgrading" again to Explorer GT40P heads and Explorer throttle body with GT40 upper/lower intake.

Also, alphabet soup SVO cams are very very very cheap (especially used). Surf over to www.corral.net and pick one up.

And then in another six months it'll be time to drop in a 4.6L 4V powertrain (get a Terminator!). :beers:

Joe

·
Registered
978 Posts
Cool BIll,,, How old is your son? I remember helping my dad with all our half working car\cars. It was a fun time ,, for me anyway.
I got my 10 month old a little plastic inline four, overhead cam motor. It even spins with all working parts and spark plugs that really fire in a clear head and block that he can see. It recommended for 7 yrs and up. I tried to play with it and the wife got mad :) .
I know you will have a great time,, He's on his way to being a Master Mechanic!!

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bill,
Remember the HO cam has the 351 firing order. Put that one back in your head so you can remember. It'll come in handy at 2am when you're tring to figure out the "rough idle".

In about six months you'll be "upgrading" again to Explorer GT40P heads and Explorer throttle body with GT40 upper/lower intake.

Also, alphabet soup SVO cams are very very very cheap (especially used). Surf over to www.corral.net and pick one up.

And then in another six months it'll be time to drop in a 4.6L 4V powertrain (get a Terminator!). :beers:

Joe
Joe,

Thanks for the reminder on the firing order!!!!! Next on his list is to convert it to a stick!!!!!

Bill

Cool BIll,,, How old is your son? I remember helping my dad with all our half working car\cars. It was a fun time ,, for me anyway.
I got my 10 month old a little plastic inline four, overhead cam motor. It even spins with all working parts and spark plugs that really fire in a clear head and block that he can see. It recommended for 7 yrs and up. I tried to play with it and the wife got mad :) .
I know you will have a great time,, He's on his way to being a Master Mechanic!!
Joey,

He is 18 and in college, I also have a daughter that is 21 and also in college. I too played with all the kids toys, they are all very cool!!!!!!!!!

Bill

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Re:UPDATE Proud Dad, My Son just ordered his first Speed parts

We started on the car Friday about 1 pm. Worked on it all day Sat and Sunday. Thank goodness my brother helped Sat and Sun, all three of us worked our butts off. This was the first marathon car work my son was ever involved in. He has always helped me, put never under a push to get it done like this. Boy did he sleep!!! LOL This car has 127,000 mile and still had the factory water pump and has never been apart, so you know the amount of cleaning and bolt preparation we had to do. We installed a used HO cam, E7TE heads, timing chain and gears, 19# injectors, HO upper intake, DA1 computer and a K/N filter. We also replace the waterpump and p/s pump and some misc hoses. Fired it up around 7pm Sun. We had a leaky fuel injector o ring, I replaced all 16 this one had a tear. Replace it, trans line leaked darn fords with quick connects :( repaired it, then a faulty thermostat. Closed it up for the night. Sleeped in and took a vacation day and drove son to College. Replace thermostat looked everything over, tighted some overlooked bolts and picked him up. He drove it home and said to me "Dad, this runs better than I ever expected" I cannot fully explain all the feelings this project has given to me as a father. My Dad passed away when I was 13, we never got a chance to do these things. I am really high on life at this moment. thanks for letting me share. Here are some picks.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts