Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting Ready to buy my first Chevelle (71 Malibu/350) - It is on the truck on its way from across the states - I was checking other ads and I keep seeing cars which include the Protector plate - What is it? - and what value does it add? Also, I know you can verify engine, Vin and tranny numbers but are build sheet replacements or repros available from Chevrolet or anyone else?

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
The Protect-O-Plate is a warranty card which documents the car, it has the original owners name and address, VIN ,engine, transmission and rear axle codes, Carb type, assembly month, PS, PB, Radio code, Disc brake code, A/C, power window code, power seat code, Chevrolet trade mark.

Its a small credit card size metal plate that left an imprint on the dealers forms.

Its usually excellent proff of originality but these are being faked also. People have bought up old machince and blank plates and can turn out anything they want that looks 100% original. So today you have to be suspicious of any documentation when someone other than the original owner is selling.

[This message has been edited by elcamino (edited 06-03-2001).]

·
Registered
934 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
if you think a car is an original whatever, everyone else thinks it is an original, and only god knows it isn't, then what is the difference? i mean, i don't go around making fake SS's or anything, but i mean, what you don't know won't hurt you. just my 2 cents.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.