Chevelles.com banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,850 Posts
Cody, the plates we speak of have vehicle specific data, so are pretty much copies of the original issue. Your dad's aren't exactly like that, which of course, eliminates all the ethical concerns ( hat's off to your dad btw) , but makes 'em a $50 item.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Personally, IF I was to fake a car, or try to make a real car more real, I could make a more believable faux protecto-plate, than an order sheet or other piece of paper. When tens of thousands of dollars are at stake on certain items that can fit in an envelope, you know there is fraud.
But I never would, and wouldn't spend the money on a car that would warrant that type of documentation anyway.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Even the original POP's issued with a car are not without errors. Case in point. I'm the original owner of my 69 L48 undergoing a full body off restoration. My POP should have the engine code "HA" (for L48) but in fact the POP was stamped "JA" (396 L35). Now I know the difference between small and big blocks :laugh: so in this particular case at least, the POP doesn't prove 100% legitimacy (although my build sheet and window sticker support the actual L48 build).

(Besides, who would trash an L35 to build an L48 these days ?)

Anyone else find errors in their POP's ?

Viz

·
Premium Member
4,913 Posts

Viz
The workmen on Auto Assembly Lines and Dealerships had strict orders to make sure every stamp and tag identifying a vehicle was 100 percent correct so a bunch of 60+ year old men in the future could sleep at night.:D

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
I'm the original owner of my 69 L48 undergoing a full body off restoration. My POP should have the engine code "HA" (for L48) but in fact the POP was stamped "JA" (396 L35).

I have the opposite on my high school 67 SS (138 VIN). POP should be ED (for 396/325 manual) but is stamped DE (which I think is a 283).

As to frequency of errors, I have seen more real 67 Atlanta POPs with errors than without! And I am serious.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Cody, the plates we speak of have vehicle specific data, so are pretty much copies of the original issue. Your dad's aren't exactly like that, which of course, eliminates all the ethical concerns ( hat's off to your dad btw) , but makes 'em a $50 item.
Right, he sells them more as a novelty item. He primarily uses his machine to make the military dog tags that he sells. Addressograph had quite a few different machines intended for different purposes.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have the opposite on my high school 67 SS (138 VIN). POP should be ED (for 396/325 manual) but is stamped DE (which I think is a 283).

As to frequency of errors, I have seen more real 67 Atlanta POPs with errors than without! And I am serious.
I suppose errors are to be expected, since it's really just another form of typing. Would be nice if they proofread though :frown2:

Viz

41 - 49 of 49 Posts