Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the Chevelle is SO close to being a finished project (if they ever are finished that is, LOL!) I've been wondering how to really enjoy having it and taking it anywhere. When my wife and I have taken it for a cruise and stop for a soda or eats I ALWAYS park it where I can see it and park in such a way that don't have to worry about door dings, etc. I guess my big concern is if we decide to take it overnight sometime on a weekend cruise. Steering wheel locks, remove the coil wire, lighted parking area, good motel chains, etc are all helpful but just the idea of the car sitting unattended all night long really bothers me. At a car show setting perhaps one could trade over night rotating guard duty hours with other car show guys but what about just my wife and I on a weekend cruise? I have it insured for agreed value ($25k) but money is a poor substitute for the pleasure of owning and driving a classic muscle car.

Sorry for the long winded post but it really bothers me thinking I could be losing my Chevelle to a thief while I'm asleep in a motel room.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
That fear will never go away. But you can't let it consume you, you will never enjoy the cruises, car shows, etc. Also, I had the same fear about scratches in the brand new paint......I put the first scratch in it putting the trim on the side. I was Soooo pissed at myself, but in the end, it made me a little calmer when I got a rock chip. Enjoy the car!!!! Best advice I can give you.

·
Registered
8,868 Posts
Since the Chevelle is SO close to being a finished project (if they ever are finished that is, LOL!) I've been wondering how to really enjoy having it and taking it anywhere. When my wife and I have taken it for a cruise and stop for a soda or eats I ALWAYS park it where I can see it and park in such a way that don't have to worry about door dings, etc. I guess my big concern is if we decide to take it overnight sometime on a weekend cruise. Steering wheel locks, remove the coil wire, lighted parking area, good motel chains, etc are all helpful but just the idea of the car sitting unattended all night long really bothers me. At a car show setting perhaps one could trade over night rotating guard duty hours with other car show guys but what about just my wife and I on a weekend cruise? I have it insured for agreed value ($25k) but money is a poor substitute for the pleasure of owning and driving a classic muscle car.

Sorry for the long winded post but it really bothers me thinking I could be losing my Chevelle to a thief while I'm asleep in a motel room.
i've heard of a kit that is tied into your phone
motion detected on car triggers a call to your phone in real time
this could help when a car hauler is used to bypass any other disabling devices:surprise:

·
Premium Member
3,611 Posts
I think more people can relate to this post than not. We strive to produce very nice cars to enjoy, but in the process we form our own sort of bondage and worry. It's kind of a curse. I can relate. I try to be reasonable, you cannot prevent the inevitable, however you can be smart by preparing:

1.) By the best insurance you can buy. Be very familiar with your policy and it's terms.
2.) House it, lock it, make it difficult to get to. Layers of protection work best. Layers equal time, time equals inconvenience and risk for a would be thief. Alarm and video are examples of additional layers.
3.) Car specific security, as you mentioned several steps you can take. In addition break ignition for power source, I use a hidden switch inside (solenoid) to physically remove power to start system. I employ addition items as well.
4.) Good idea to be around car at shows or where you park, keep an eye out. Use common sense, Buddy method, choice of parking spaces etc.

5.) Most important: Relax if you can, resign yourself to the inevitable. Life happens. The last thing you want to do is worry to the point of having a stress related heart attack about something you can't control anyway. Enjoy yourself, your hard work and your good fortune. Remember that "Ring":

·
Registered
1971 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu
7,545 Posts
I'm worse than you. I would never take my car if I had to leave it overnight anywhere. I would never take it for more than a day event if I knew I might get caught in the rain. I will not go into a restaurant and leave it unintended in a parking lot. I do have my car insured also for even a higher agreed amount than you do but I would rather never have to use it and enjoy it on a day to day basis without worrying about all of the above. I have been this way all my life since I was able to have a toy that wasn't my everyday car but even back then I would worry about it. I found out over the years there are a lot of jealous people out there that get their jollies off damaging others people's property. I drive my car enough to enjoy it without taking risks and not find it where I parked it the next day. The one risk you do take especially today is just driving it with all these people either talking or texting on their phones but that's a risk you can't control.

·
Premium Member
4,510 Posts
When staying at a hotel, try to park right in front of the lobby door under a street light. Slipping the night clerk a little extra cash to keep an eye on it doesn't hurt either.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
What fun is that? I don't think I'd want a perfect show car that I had to worry about.

My Chevelle has old, sort of faded paint that I won't care if it gets chipped or scratched. I drive it all over and don't worry about it. In the rain, down dirt roads, whatever. I just won't take it out when there is salt on the roads, that's my only quirk with it. I don't think I've ever locked the doors and usually leave the keys in it. I just have normal insurance and wouldn't get much if anything happened to it, oh well. I got it to enjoy, not fret over.

If a thief really wants it, they will get it. Look for a motel that is a motor court sort of deal where you park right outside your room. Do a motion sensor or proximity sensor type alarm with a hidden back up battery and remote paging so they can't just reach underneath and cut the battery cables or siren wires.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
this could help when a car hauler is used to bypass any other disabling devices:surprise:
I do have one, that I used with my dad... I can sell if interested. But this is a good idea. Other things you mentioned, like disable the car, park in well lit areas, etc etc. ...ask for a main floor room, and park near your window.

ak

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's an interesting thought, where did you find that, what brand or mfg.? Would like some more info on this if you would please, thanks.

Thanks also to all those who responded, gives me some thoughts and ideas to pursue for sure. Sure would be nice if everyone in the world would respect other peoples property but I think in today's world that's a forgotten trait.

·
Registered
8,854 Posts
Do you worry this much about your $40,000+ daily driver? Insure the hell out of it and enjoy it.

·
Premium Member
4,136 Posts
What fun is that? I don't think I'd want a perfect show car that I had to worry about.

My Chevelle has old, sort of faded paint that I won't care if it gets chipped or scratched. I drive it all over and don't worry about it. In the rain, down dirt roads, whatever. I just won't take it out when there is salt on the roads, that's my only quirk with it. I don't think I've ever locked the doors and usually leave the keys in it. I just have normal insurance and wouldn't get much if anything happened to it, oh well. I got it to enjoy, not fret over.

If a thief really wants it, they will get it. Look for a motel that is a motor court sort of deal where you park right outside your room. Do a motion sensor or proximity sensor type alarm with a hidden back up battery and remote paging so they can't just reach underneath and cut the battery cables or siren wires.

X2. With the exception of the right rear quarter my paint job is original and looks it. Many door dings, faded paint, surface rust on the hood and roof, serious scratches on the trunk deck etc. I always disconnect the battery when traveling if I'm staying over night in a motel. I always pull the keys but beyond those two things I don't take any other security measures. The car looks old and worn. There are very few visual clues to my car that would indicate that it was a high performance car. Wheels and maybe the "Vortec Supercharged" license plate surround if anyone ever looked at it. All of the massive shameful amount of money I have spent on it is hidden under the skin just where I want it. Some day I am going to inquire of Oklahoma if the license plate "slpr" or "sleepr" is available. No hurry, as I generally don't spend any money on things that don't make the car go faster.

·
Banned
1,293 Posts
Do you worry this much about your $40,000+ daily driver? Insure the hell out of it and enjoy it.
I doubt someone can get into that $40k driver with a coat hanger, pull the ignition cylinder, hot wire it, and drive off. Not to mention, not a lot of people are backing up flatbeds to dime a dozen cars and shipping them overseas.

·
Premium Member
1,571 Posts
My Chevelle was an automatic and now a 4 speed, If I turn the column from the neutral position to a gear the car will not start,it drove me crazy one day,worth a try

·
Premium Member
1,848 Posts
1.) By the best insurance you can buy. Be very familiar with your policy and it's terms.
# 1 is your best piece of mind, get an agreed upon value. Then enjoy life, it is too short to worry about things you can't control.
Or you can park it in your garage and just go sit in it every week, and that's no fun.

·
Registered
5,710 Posts
# 1 is your best piece of mind, get an agreed upon value. Then enjoy life, it is too short to worry about things you can't control.
And pray that if they do steal it, they leave no parts behind. Make the claim and move on.

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
As mentioned I do have an appraisal and agreed value of $25k to go with it thru my insurance agent. Requirements are not a daily driver, locked inside storage at residence and no stated maximum yearly mileage useage. Understand about live with it and enjoy it for what it is, just hate to think about losing it to some low life thief. Lots of hours, $$ and beer poured into it but it sure does get the swivel neck and thumbs up driving down the street.

Now I wish it would quit raining so I can take it for a drive.

·
Registered
4,030 Posts
I doubt someone can get into that $40k driver with a coat hanger, pull the ignition cylinder, hot wire it, and drive off. Not to mention, not a lot of people are backing up flatbeds to dime a dozen cars and shipping them overseas.
Camrys and Accords get stolen by the thousands.

The difference is that when one of those disappears there are lots full of them everywhere as replacements. Even if you just took delivery of a special ordered superduper Camaro or Hellcat, or even a Diablo or Ferrari of some sort, if it disappears one night, you can go down to the dealer and order another one just like it. If someone backs into one in a parking lot, you go down to the body shop and they have a teenager put a junkyard door on it, someone sprays it a reasonably close color to the original and you move on. None of that works for a 50 year old car that you've just spent 50K and countless hours restoring.

I'll probably never bother having my Chevelle painted. It looks OK from 100ft, the windows don't leak, and there are no major dents, so as far as I'm concerned, the bodywork is done.

·
Registered
13,311 Posts
This has come up MANY times, my protection NEVER changes.

·
Registered
281 Posts
That fear will never go away. But you can't let it consume you, you will never enjoy the cruises, car shows, etc.

This is also true for me. My thing now is original unrestored cars or cars that are weathered a bit. I park my Chevelle anywhere, there are dents and scratches in every single panel. The only thing I fear are major collisions (deer - the big worry in my neck of the woods and other drivers of course) because my sheet metal is original but... I would get zero enjoyment out of not driving the car so it is what it is. I would not bother owning an old muscle car if I couldn't take it out.

I just came home last from a cruise on Thursday and hit a chunk of recap in the darkness (I was doing 75 MPH... or so... maybe 80... :wink2:and not about to swerve for a small chunk of tire). It "whapped" around and clunked underneath a little more than I cared for and it made me momentarily angry (big highway and I have to hit this recap...) but no big deal... at least it wasn't a deer. If my car was restored / freshly painted / etc. I'd have been pretty choked though.

I also do overnights... again not worried about door chips etc. but I do worry about someone ripping off my original cowl air cleaner or the Holley etc. in the middle of the night. I try and park under the motel / hotel lights or right in front of my room (hopefully I'll hear the hood pop). I am tempted to put a tiny padlock on the hood pins but... haven't yet. I have pulled a coil wire on occasion when my Spidey sense is tingling, easy to do and that is about the extend of my anti-theft device.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts